shimano components

BOBO14
BOBO14 Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
hi all i've forgotten a lot of information on mountain biking need some help? shimano parts in what order do they go in terms of quality eg xc xt xtr alivio deore etc i've used these as an example are there any others and what order do they go in? any help would be great thank you.

Comments

• Shamelessly stolen from wikipedia.. descending order of "quality" (usually more likely a weight reduction)

Cross country component
    XTR [M970] (9 speed) - Top of the range for cross-country mountain bikes
    Deore XT [M770] (9 and 10 speed)
    SLX [M660] (9 and 10 speed)
    Deore [M590] (9 speed) Entry level cross-country mountain bikes
    Non-series (brakeparts, cranks and pedals)

Trekking component
    Deore XT
    Deore LX
    Deore

Downhill/Freeride component
    Saint [M810] (9 speed) - Top of the range for downhill and freeride bikes, and many components are based on the XT groupset
    Hone [M600] (9 speed) - discontinued in 2008, replaced with SLX

Recreational mountain bikes component
    Alivio [M410 and M430] (8 and 9 speed)
    Acera [M360] (8 speed)
    Altus [M310] (8 speed)
    Tourney (6 and 7 speed) - Includes several different levels of quality, and can be found on department-store bicycles
  • That list isn't even up to date. But it'll give you an idea. What the hell is "Trekking" though.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's the touring groupsets, 26/36/48 rings etc.

There's a new iteration of XTR to add, M980, with parts designed for a wider market than just XC, but otherwise that's about right!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    and SLX was released as a trail group set rather than XC and removing the Deore LX so not sure that shouldn't of been more in Freeride or not hehe
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    basically, as far as aftermarket mountain bike parts go, you have two "hard hitting" groupsets now, which are bombproof. SLX, and Saint fill this category, with Saint being the hardest of the hard-as-nails. SLX is basically a budget version of Saint, nowhere near as tough, and heavier, but fantastic value for money.

Then, you have XTR, which is the super-light racing snake groupset.

Then, in the middle, as a fantastic all-rounder, you have XT. Still pretty damned light, as strong as SLX, but lighter. Not at tough as saint, but cheaper.
  • Thewaylander
    I'd not say XT parts are stronger than SLX, since i have seen a few smashed XT mechs...

But Xt is certainly a bit lighter, though not by huge wads.
  • Anonymous
    XT. Still pretty damned light, as strong as SLX, but lighter. Not at tough as saint, but cheaper.
  • Thewaylander
    I will takes hte cranks for instance though having used both.

The SLX are stiffer than the lighter XT cranks which would suggest more strength in the SLX to me. and this is normally the case, as you sacrifice weight you get weaker components, XT is lighter. it's not often at this level of component this well engineered, that lighter becomes stronger unless there is a major change in material and/or design. and there isn't.
  • Anonymous
    Ok, so what exact part of
    XTR = superlight racing stuff
    XT = grat all rounder
    SLX/Saint = hard hitting parts

Do you not agree with? eh? Why are your knockers in a twist?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just look on shimanos webby and press products and they are all listed and described.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... rail.html#

and you will see examples of the race and the trail XTR etc etc
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Just when it was getting simple, they now have two versions of XTR :lol: