MTB Maintenance Courses Lancashire

furry.
furry. Posts: 46
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
I've been looking around for a MTB maintenance course in the Lancashire area and found this one http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/csmaint.asp?session=80248101029092231939671220721

Has anyone been on it and was it worthwhile?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation for a skills course in the Lancashire area as well?

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Not been on a Maintenance course, however, I did my MIAS qualification with MBI and they are great.

Not sure if Ray (Mazey) himself does the maintenance course, but I suspect he does. Top bloke, top setup! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • furry.
    Thats good to hear, cheers for the info. :D
  • I've found youtube very helpfull, peaple just love to show off their skills
  • furry.
    Thanks bikerbart. I have found some useful stuff online, but my company has a scheme which gives you an allowance towards learning new skills, even if it is not work related. Hopefully this course qualifies so it wont cost me any more than my travel there... result.
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    You work at bae systems ?
  • furry.
    Yeah thats right. Hopefully I can use the PASS scheme to cover the cost, I just need to sort the application out now.
  • grim168
    I've used pass a few times but keep meaning to use it every year and never get round to it. Fancy a basic kayak course next. Might as well use it. I'm surprised how few do.
  • furry.
    I've never got round to using it before, but it seemed like a good idea for this when someone at work mentioned it. Like you say, might as well use it. Hopefully I can get the course approved and booked in the next month or two, then I can think of something else for next year, perhaps some first aid for when I go flying off my bike :) . The basic kayak sounds fun, if you go for it I hope you enjoy it.
  • grim168
    Ive used it for web design, bricklaying and guitar up to now. But it has been going for a while.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I was about to sugest nipping in to an Evans cycles if you have one local, they run free basic maintenance course every month; nad then picking the rest up by playing with your bike and looking at park tools.

However, if you can get one of these courses for free then why not go for it; i'm sure you'll get plenty out of it :D

however, i stand by the fact that t he best way to get to grips with your bike is playing with your own; they're mechanicaly very simple and most tasks are very straight forward. There's always the tech section in here too if you ever find yourself stuck and need help.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • furry.
    I agree with you sentiments Torres and will look at having a play and using the many resources out there, but as you say if I can get a course paid for then its worth a go. It may also give me confidence to tackle jobs I may not otherwise try.