New commuter

DillB
DillB Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
I have recently (this weekend) started riding my bike to work.

Now I know I neeeds lights, lock etc.

My main concern is the roads, what should I look out for thats cars will/wont do when i am riding along. Now the nights are getting darker I would like to think I will be prepared for every event, although I know this wont be possible.

All suggestions are welcome even the most obvious ones which I may already know.

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Avoid wobbling - as a driver and cyclist on the same route to work thats what scares drivers and has brought me closest to having an accident. Not sure how to advise you not to wobble though!

I've found that if you're going to move out to go round a parked car or something look over your shoulder a couple of times before you move. Even if you dont see anything it gives drivers behind you a hint as to what you're going to do, then make the hand signal.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Welcome.

The advice I would give a newbie is as follows:
    Look far ahead as this way you can see anything that will cause you to change direction, as early as possible. If you see a pothole (or something in the road/puddle/car etc) early you can go smoothly around it, if you see it late it could cause you to swerve violently or crash through it (a pothole obviously, not a car).
    Also, only looking at a patch of road a few metres ahead leads to wobbling. If you've ever walked on a tight rope you'll understand that you look at the other end, not your feet.

When it comes to passing parked cars a couple of early shoulder checks (making eye contact with the driver behind if possible) is good. I don't always signal, but I always move out early, don't leave it until the last moment and then swerve out.

In the wet, avoid manhole covers and drains, They are uber slippery. If you do have to go over them, try to do it straight (not leaning/turning) and not accelerating or braking.

Stay out of the door zone. I've been taken out by car doors and it hurts. Ride at least 1 metre wide of parked cars, just in case.

Don't be afraid to take primary (an assertive position) in the road at pinch points (e.g. traffic islands). Its better to (after checking it is safe) ride in the middle of the carriageway to ensure nothing can try to squeeze past and possibly delay a car by a few seconds than ride in the gutter and get clipped by a wing mirror or worse.

Get proper cycling clothing. I (and many others) find that if you cycle in wet weather wearing waterproofs, the rain doesn't get you wet, but you still end up soaked from sweat (and therefore stinky all day in the office). Without waterproofs you get just as wet but only from the rain. Wet lycra is warmer to wear and dries quicker than wet cotton (t-shirt for example).

The p*ncture fairy lives in the gutter, don't ride there.
    More generally, I tend to cycle about where the a car would have its left wheel. It is clear of debris, out of the gutter and out of the door zone.
    Don't try to hide from traffic, YOU ARE TRAFFIC.

Don't RLJ (Red Light Jump). I'd also advise against wearing headphones and suggest a helmet (can of worms time).

Smile at the poor souls in tin boxes stuck in traffic or (possibly even worse), those waiting at bus stops.
    You are getting fitter, saving money and having fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm nicking Greg66's point here, but make a note of where the pot holes are, man hole covers, cracks in the road. Very handy on dark, wet nights.

Observe how traffic behaves e.g. there's often a stream of traffic turning left at certain junctions - you'll then start to anticipate what a car or van might do.

Don't ride in the gutters - this is where the detritus is and you're more likely to get a visit from the P******* Fairy. This is also where the drains and red or yellow lines are, and these can be very slippery in the wet.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    On my commute home there was a massive pothole (think a bigger version of the Grand Canyon) and I was going to report it to the council when I got home but when I got to the point where it was, a road crew were sorting it out.

Well done Enfield Council.

• DillB
    DillB Posts: 6
    Cheers for them tips people, they are greatly appreciated :D

Quite a few pointers there that I would of only found out the hard way.

As for the helmet issue, yes I do wear one. After all I want to give myself the best chance possible should something bad happen to me :?
  • EKE_38BPM
    I wear a helmet too, but cycling isn't as dangerous as, well, not cycling (life expectancy etc).
    If you listen to the scaredy cats you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Don't be scared, have fun.

• DillB wrote:

My main concern is the roads, what should I look out for thats cars will/wont do when i am riding along. Now the nights are getting darker I would like to think I will be prepared for every event, although I know this wont be possible.

All suggestions are welcome even the most obvious ones which I may already know.

Welcome to commuting. As Grant Petersen has said, "the best use of a bicycle is commuting". It is a wonderful way to enhance your life.

I'd advise all cyclists to read John Franklin's book Cyclecraft. It is probably the best tenner you can spend when starting to cycle on the roads. As you will learn, riding a bike is not dangerous in the scheme of things, and can be made safer with a bit of knowledge and an informed approach. Once you are in control, it becomes fun. Enjoy yourself!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is a top 10 of cycle crashes somewhere on the t'internet that describes what newbies do wrong and how to do it right.

Basically you ride like a vehicle, be predictable, signal your intentions either by arm movements, head movement, road positioning but esp eye contact.

Drivers are very poor at signalling these days, they only use indicators if they can see someone worth signalling too (higher up the traffic pecking order).

When passing parked cars, move out very early. If passing 2 cars there is sometimes a gap between them. Don't move back into the curb, hold your position.

Regarding Red Light Jumping (RLJ), this can be dangerous if done with no regard for other road users, esp pedestrians. Blasting through a red light is suicidal. Getting the jump on traffic as the light turns to red is often safer than waiting, esp on an uphill junction. You need to know the light phasing and be aware of other people who sometimes turn against the lights.

Moving up a row of stopped cars needs care. As you pass sideroads, cars can come in or out. Pedestrians may try to cross at any time. Its safer to pass on the outside but sometimes you pass on the inside.

Everyone says wear a helmet. Also, wear gloves; hand injuries from a minor crash can be very serious.
  • Well done for starting your commuting on the wettest weekend since Noye's Fludde.
    +1 to most of the above from other contributors.

The issue and consequences of filtering left beside stationary large vehicles with corresponding large blind spots is ever more in the news; my advice is stay behind, off-side and visible in the driver's mirrors where possible. Motorists are becoming more and more used to this sort of positioning so don't be shy, they don't want you under their wheels either. Time-saving and other benefits of squeezing to the front are generally minimal.

Once you know your regular route you'll likely get to know how to anticipate changes and control speed to keep up momentum when approaching lights so the need or 'urge' to jump the red becomes smaller and smaller.

Stay visible.

Take every safe opportunity to high-five people flagging down buses/taxis.

Here's to a new world of invigoration and kit purchase.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • EKE_38BPM
    +1 to wearing gloves and high-fiving people flagging down buses/taxis!

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    A few things I've learned:

Before you pull out or change lane or otherwise alter your line in traffic, do an over the shoulder check for anyone coming up alongside you - motorbikes, other cyclists etc. It's amazing the number of cyclists who simply pull out or move across lanes without a care in the world, utterly oblivious to what's comuing from behind.

If you're approaching a left turn always look out for people turning right across your path. Motorists often underestimate how long their cars are and how fast you're going and will try to swing across, turning right across your path from the opposite direction. Be especially aware when in heavy traffic when you're filtering through the traffic, often motorists on your side will hold back to let through a right turner pulling into a road which is on your left. They get the flash from a motorist and simply pull through the traffic as fast as possibly without checking for motorbikes and cyclists moving through the gridlock and take you out on the way through.

As you approach a left turn when traffic is moving slower than you or at the same speed, hold back as motorists will often suddenly swing a left from slow traffic into a side road without any warning or indication and they don't usually check their mirrors so once again, you get taken out as they left hook you.

Watch out for peds stepping off the kerb without looking. This happens especially frequently when motor traffic is at a standstill. If you're filtering through traffic, watch out for them popping out from behind high side vans or buses etc. Once peds have started crossing they tend not to check much for other traffic and make a bee line straight for the other side without any further checks.

As others have said, avoid manhole covers, even in the dry. In fact for me if it's a choice between a finely polished manhole cover and a pothole, it's the pothole every time. manhole covers turn into sheet ice patches in the wet

Other than that there's the usual, get good lights and reflective stuff, don't ride in the gutter - make space for yourself, take the lane if necessary. Ride cautiously but not nervously. If you constantly jab nervously at the brakes you'll get rear ended and people will pull out in front of you, if you ride fast and aggressively you won't be able to react in an emergency.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • My best tip is enjoy yourself!
    I now consider driving to work a chore and an exercise in frustration, only to be suffered when circumstance demands (going somewhere after work or for carrying loads).

+1 EKE "you are traffic" :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cjcp
    It's good to regularly check behind you, same as you would check the rear view mirror of the car, for cars, HGVs, scooters, bikes etc.

And don't draft other bikes - or indeed any other form of traffic - especially in wet weather.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kazz_uk
    Kazz_uk Posts: 73
    Loads of great advice here to take on-board, can't think of much to add.

One thing that does come to mind is something someone on this forum said when I first started (can't remember the name), but assume every road user and pedestrian is a moron. That car you hear behind you accelerating? Its going to overtake you and then take a left turn 20 meters later :).

Stay visible, use eye contact and signals, think of any headwinds as a personal trainer and block your net browser from Wiggle as it will consume more than your bike is worth each year :).
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • [quote="Kazz_uk"block your net browser from Wiggle as it will consume more than your bike is worth each year :).[/quote]

LOL, am awaiting my PX uncle John before I start commuting regularly. Currently finding excuses for spending over £50 at a time for that £5 off voucher email sign up.

Great thread.

Any tips for commuting on a canal tow path other than watch out for tramps, trolleys n barges?
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I've found that if you're going to move out to go round a parked car or something look over your shoulder a couple of times before you move. Even if you dont see anything it gives drivers behind you a hint as to what you're going to do, then make the hand signal.

Just to amend that. Look over your shoulder lots. Before you make a movement to the left, look over your left shoulder, before a movement to the right, look over you right. I call these looks "suicide checks" as if you don't do them, you must be suidical. Be very aware of what's behind you, how fast they are going and what they are likely to do. If you're keeping an eye out in front and have an awareness of side roads, you'll be less likely to be caught by surprise.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • As someone who only started using a bike to commute a couple of weeks ago the main thing I'd say is don't be afraid to take up space. At first I felt like I should always keep out of the way as much as possible but I'm now finding myself moving out more when needed and most drivers don't have an issue with it. If you are riding in the gutter some people can be lazy and they barely move out when they pass you. If you push out slightly they are forced to drive around you more and this usually means they give you some extra space.
    If you ride positively and make moves the same way the other traffic does drivers will be able to predict what you are going to do and it makes everyone's life easier. You are as entitled to be on the road as anyone else so ride that way.
  • MarkS1980 wrote:
    As someone who only started using a bike to commute a couple of weeks ago the main thing I'd say is don't be afraid to take up space. At first I felt like I should always keep out of the way as much as possible but I'm now finding myself moving out more when needed and most drivers don't have an issue with it. If you are riding in the gutter some people can be lazy and they barely move out when they pass you. If you push out slightly they are forced to drive around you more and this usually means they give you some extra space.
    If you ride positively and make moves the same way the other traffic does drivers will be able to predict what you are going to do and it makes everyone's life easier. You are as entitled to be on the road as anyone else so ride that way.

On the same lines as the above advice:

If the road feels too narrow for a car to safely pass you, ride in a position in the road that makes the car have to overtake you buy going into the opposite lane. This position is usually achieved by riding in the inside wheel track that the cars take.

This gives the drivers a feeling of vulnerability, gives them time to think about their overtake and their overtake is much better and more considered
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    All of the above, specifically:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Don't try to hide from traffic, YOU ARE TRAFFIC.
  • cyd
    cyd Posts: 3
    as a new commuter of the last 5 months no previous experience. i started off riding close to pavement and found cars were very close. since i started riding further ouyt they seem to give me more room
  • cjcp
    cyd wrote:
    as a new commuter of the last 5 months no previous experience. i started off riding close to pavement and found cars were very close. since i started riding further ouyt they seem to give me more room

Very true.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    I heard somewhere that when cars overtake cyclists they allow the same amount of space between them (the car) and the cyclist as the cyclist rides out from the kerb.

If you're in the gutter, they'll brush past you, if you are further out, they give you more room.

Once again, don't try to hide from traffic, YOU ARE TRAFFIC!

• DillB wrote:

This article in the standard from the other night should help a bit..
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle ... brigade.do