Planet X Nanolight High Modulus

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited June 2011 in Your road bikes
Still unridden (only picked it up on Friday), but it sure does look lovely and its pretty light coming in at 7.3kg (including pedals and cage) with my heavy PowerTap wheel. The only thing I'd like to upgrade is the wheels, but having the PowerTap is a bit of a limiter and I can't stretch to a SRM. Will probably chop a bit of steerer off when I get round to it.

(click for full size)

th_DSC05928.jpg

Frame: Planet X Nanolight High Mod (small)
Forks: Planet X Nanolight
Bars: Planet X Nanolight Ergo Carbon
Stem: Planet X Ultralight CNC

Front Caliper: Planet X Ultralight CNC
Rear Caliper: Planet X Ultralight CNC

Shifters: SRAM Red
Front Mech: SRAM Red
Rear Mech: SRAM Red

Seat:Charge Knife Titanium
Seat Post: FSA K-force Light Carbon

Cranks: FSA SLK Light Carbon 53-39
Chain: SRAM PC1050
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-23
Pedals: Look Keo Classic

Front Wheel:
Rim: IRC Cadence Aero
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
Hub: Ambrosia
Tire: Michelin Pro 3 Grip

Back Wheel:
Rim: IRC Cadence Aero
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray
Hub: PowerTap Pro+
Tire: Michelin Pro 3 Grip

Weight: 7.3kg
More problems but still living....

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    ooks nice, mate.

Do you not like the Cadence Aero's then?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • amaferanga
    No problem with the rims, but the wheelset weighs in at 1800g with the PowerTap (despite Derrick @ Wheelsmith claiming they'd be about 1600g). I really like having the power meter for races, but it means I'm lugging round an extra 0.5kg of ballast that I could do without.
  • erkko
    erkko Posts: 7
    Nice bike, how tall are you? I'm thinking to buy a nanolight, but I can't decide should I buy S or M (I'm 5'9").
  • amaferanga
    I'm 5'8".

If you like your bars high then you might be better with the medium as even as supplied with uncut steerer I have a ~8cm drop from saddle to bars.
  • erkko
    erkko Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. It looks like your saddle is in very high position, my saddle height is 72,5cm from BB to top of the saddle. I think I have 7,5cm drop in my old bike.
  • I like it! :D You will have to give us a full report after you get chance to have a spin on it.
  • amaferanga
    First ride today - 5 miles to work! I'll be going for a longer ride after work, but the 5 miles is enough to know I like this bike a LOT. I didn't expect it to feel much different to my Kuota Kharma, but it did. I've always doubted when I've heard folk say things like this, but it somehow feels so much smoother. I've taken the wheels and tyres off my Kuota so it can only be down to the frame properties and/or the carbon bars. The Nanolight bars are really comfortable and with the bare carbon tops (they came wrapped, but they looked huge so I took the tape off) they look very cool (to me). And I love the SRAM Red shifters - noticeably better shifting than the Shimano 105/Ultegra I've used before. The double tap seems pretty easy to get used to as well.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Fabulous bike. I've posted previously that I wasn't too sure about the new logo but I'm definitely warming to it!! These bikes look absolutely stunning IMHO. I'm looking to get the black high mod and some of their new hand built carbon 50's next year. Hope you enjoy your new bike.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    looks good, I would love to see some pics of the bb area, and a report on how stiff it is when out of the saddle sprinting or climbing efforts
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Could you please post more pictures of the seat stays and bottom bracket, head tube areas. Looking for a new frame and this is on my list. Need more input on stiffness and frame weight also. Thanks a million.
    T
  • amaferanga
    Some new pics with my Xiamen Farsport carbon clinchers. Bought the rims and built them up on my rear PowerTap hub and a front ultralight hub from Bikehubstore.com with Sapim Lasers. Swapped the FSA chainset for a SRAM Red one a while back, changed to a white P-X stem, P-X carbon bottle cages and currently running Veloflex Corsa with Michelin latex tubes.

I like it a lot....

DSC06146.JPG

DSC06144.JPG

DSC06145.JPG
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Great looking bike.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Very, very nice. Are those rims matte or glossy?
  • amaferanga
    Matte - you can't see the carbon weave.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Cheers bud. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like it. I really want the Nanolight in the Team Guru colours......ahh I am jealous. :oops:
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    erkko wrote:
    Nice bike, how tall are you? I'm thinking to buy a nanolight, but I can't decide should I buy S or M (I'm 5'9").

if its of any help Im 5'9 and M fits me fine. I have a 100mm stem.
  • WilsonHW
    WilsonHW Posts: 32
    Looks great with the 50mm rims.

Would you be able to give us an update on how the Xiamen rims are working out for you?