2011 Sportive Advice

SJO76
SJO76 Posts: 86
2011 will be the first year in a while when I don't do at least one ride outside of the UK. So I have been thinking I would like to see what stunning scenery and climbs I can find in North England or maybe Scotland. Does anyone have any recommendations for Sportives preferably later in the season say August/September?

Riding a stage of the Tour of Britain is an option but the route won't be known for a while I guess. And I am not thinking of Wales as I am already planning on doing the Dragon. Then again maybe trying a different Welsh sportive late season and something else May/June is the way to go.

So any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Tour of The Black Mountains is a good one but v.hard, you could also do The Tour of Pembrokeshire, Merlin Ride and Cambrian Mountain sportive. I plan to do these 4 if possible next year.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    If it's scenery you're after why not consider a Scottish audax? The Snow Roads (300km) is apparently - I've not done it yet - exceptionally good. Or the Deeside Loop (200km). In fact anything from Forfar going north.

As it happens there's a new one in the west, Rivers Lochs and Glens 200km, that looks good.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Crapaud wrote:
    If it's scenery you're after why not consider a Scottish audax? The Snow Roads (300km) is apparently - I've not done it yet - exceptionally good. Or the Deeside Loop (200km). In fact anything from Forfar going north.

As it happens there's a new one in the west, Rivers Lochs and Glens 200km, that looks good.

The problem is that it is a Paris-Brest-Paris year next year. So all the classic short 200/300km audaxes will be running as qualifiers for PBP during the 200/300 PBP qualifying period in March/April

There won't be much going on in August as most AUK riders and organisers will be in France
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I don't know what kind of distance the OP's thinking of, Vorsprung. There's always the 100 and 150s. I'd have assumed that if it's on the calendar it'll be running - although it looks a bit sparce ATM - and the OP could, therefore, enter.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    There's the Bealach Mor in early Sept and the Ullapool Sportive late Sept. The first is shorter but hard while the second has 65 and 130 mile options.

Both well north!
  • Bealach Mor would be worth a go, the Ullapool one is a bit of a slog, or so I was told. Knowing the area well I can believe it.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Have a look at the Ryedale Rumble for August. It's a very well organised event through the North York Moors with some great climbs.

If the North of England in May/June is any good then have a look at the Richmond Sportives at the end of May. Another well organised event that runs through the Yorkshire Dales.
  • Is Anyone considering the Etape next year?

Whats is your training plan & event logistics plan?
  • Tour of Tweeddale (Borders) in August.
    Etape Hibernia (near Galway) in August. (I know, it's outside of the UK)
    Cross Border Ton in September.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just heard about this one.

http://www.sportive-kinross.co.uk/

Cheaper, less busy and more challenging than the Caledonia Etape.
    Not closed road though which is the Etape's main attraction.

Easier to get to than the ones further north although north-west is where the scenery is at!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • One of the very best that I have ridden is www.le-terrier.co.uk . Its only 77miles, but rides like the hardest of them. They claim to have the quietest roads and I can believe it. Well organised, great food, views to die for. Oh and the last 12 miles is the hardest finish in the Uk and that includes The Fred.
    Sorry forgot to say, I am hearing that they have a longer route added to the routes for next year with the same finish. If they have done this, then it will be the hardest sportive in the UK. Apparently all previous entrants will be posted the route first. So when I hear I will post the routes.
    Enjoy your rides next year.