OT; I got a tad wet tonight

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hackney to Balham in the pouring rain, wearing wet weather clothing, riding through all and every mini-pool on my route. Squelching shoes and dry bottoms thanks to Endura waterproof trousers (completely forgot I had overshoes) but my top half was soaked through. Deliberately extended the journey home too 8)

I now have 2 front lights and 3 back lights plus the Lidl reflectors. Would it be a tad excessive to dig out my spoke lights as well? :lol::lol:

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    You have mudguards?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That exciting sweetie?

IGMC
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CW really loves cycling in the rain!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    CW really loves cycling in the rain!

She's weird, always had my doubts about her, give cyclists a bad name :lol: Mind you I don't mind riding in the rain either, it's the drying out and changing at the other end that can be a PITA.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Riding through puddles is great fun, never fails to make me smile.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Simon, I don't think they get it.

• Cafewanda
    thelawnet wrote:
    You have mudguards?

Oh yeah. As standard.
  • Cafewanda
    rf6 wrote:

This.

Although people at one of the bus stops en route looked at me like I was crazy. I'd have to agree :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Simon/EKE. No I don't get it. Please enlighten me but remember the P Fairy is a relative of mine and is willing to pay you a visit :twisted:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Redvee called you weird and doesn't get threatened with a visit? Even though I'm not wising a visit on them, thats not fair.

I'm sure Simon would say that you enjoy riding in the rain more than cheese.

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Redvee called you weird and doesn't get threatened with a visit? Even though I'm not wishing a visit on them, thats not fair.

Which cheese ? I prefer riding in the rain to boring cheddar or red leicester but I'd be pushed to decide if offered stilton - wensleydale no contest
  • Cafewanda
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Redvee called you weird and doesn't get threatened with a visit? Even though I'm not wising a visit on them, thats not fair.

Redvee and I have an understanding.

Simon would be right but not if Red Stripe beer was involved :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Red Stripe fan, eh?

That is my lager of choice too (I'm drinking one right now). I did the Dunwich Dynamo with one so that I could quaff it on the beach.
    I also drive around with an inflatable Red Stripe bottle in my car, have done for years.

An area of common ground.

• Cafewanda
    Let me correct my earlier statement.

Red Stripe as produced/sold in Jamaica. I don't drink the stuff they sell over this side, which makes for a raging thirst when I eventually hit the Motherland 8)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Do you drink 'hot' Guiness too?

• Cafewanda
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Do you drink 'hot' Guiness too?

God, no :shock:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Cafewanda wrote:
    rf6 wrote:

This.

Although people at one of the bus stops en route looked at me like I was crazy. I'd have to agree :lol:

I often wonder what a loon I look as I cruise past damp and pi$$ed off looking peds at bus stops with a mahusive smile on my face :-D

I think some waterproof trousers may make it onto my list for santa this year, the road racers do a fine job of keeping my wonderful ar$e dry but it is a pain trying to dry baggies at work as they still end up soaked through on top! Having just waterproof jacket+trousers would make things easier..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Ditch the baggies and wear your lycra with pride*. :twisted: It dries out much quicker.

* or inflict it on your colleagues, depending on which way you look at it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Don't ride through puddles

not only pucturing but if there are large objects or potholes or manhole covers you can't see - what about a storm drain with the cover off? big hole to ride into !!!

also don't assume that it's just rainwater, if it's really torrential the water may have come out of the sewers as well

(advice comes from gf who works for environment agency)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    good advice ed, after all the puddle is only there because there is a hole to fill! I had a nasty shock when out on our VERY damp social ride in February - we where heading into a road that had water running down it from flooded fields. I went across to ride up what I assumed was a drop kerb, only to find the water actually was 2-3" deep and hiding a proper kerb!!

Was great fun that day, even if some of the water did smell a bit "odd" :oops:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Baggies cover my fat arse 99% of the time with lycra done when the wet stuff falls from above, as mentioned previously, lycra dries a damn sight quicker especially if the heating is on at work which is wasn't on friday when we had lots of rain as I rode into work. Damp baggies at 5pm :cry:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    edhornby wrote:

not only pucturing but if there are large objects or potholes or manhole covers you can't see - what about a storm drain with the cover off? big hole to ride into !!!

also don't assume that it's just rainwater, if it's really torrential the water may have come out of the sewers as well

:(
  • EKE_38BPM
    edhornby wrote:

Thats poo.

• I like the rain too (good job in stereotype Manchester) I don't bother with waterproof trousers as I run hot and end up with boil in the bag wet legs anyway.

once you're wet you don't tend to get wetter, its the wind driving iti into my face that I can live without.