ORBEA ORCA

confusedrider.com!!!
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
does anyone have any experience of riding an orbea orca?
i love the look of them but have heard that they are quite uncomfortable to ride.i mainly do sportives and do not race.
discuss......!

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Which model are you talking about? I have ridden the original and thats has a great ride quality but it has quite a sporty position. I found that fine as i'm fairly flexible. I haven't ridden an Evolution model which I hear is a bit stiffer and the ride therefore is less comfy.
  • the one i've been considering is the classic.i don't know anything about the evolution.
    i'm after some degree of comfort to go with the stunning looks etc.as previously stated,i don't race,therefore a slightly more upright position wouldn't go amiss!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    The classic is the one I've ridden, As i say I found it comfortable but the position is racy so you MUST try it out for an extended test before commiting. I would say that over a 100 miles it might be too much for some. I would sell my son tomorrow for the money to buy one, just on looks alone :wink:
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Had my heart set on one. Went to Epic cycles and test rode one and also the Bianchi infinito.
    Money wasn't an issue so i could have got the Orca if it fit the bill.
    The guy in the shop wouldn't give me any info or opinion on the bike until i rode it so as not to influence my opinion,
    Rode the infinito first and found it fast comfortable and gorgeous to look at. Next i got on the Orca. Fast, fast fast. Very little comfort, really sketchy over rough surfaces and didn't get on with the groupset. When i returned to the shop and told the guy how it felt, he told me that most people found it to be exactly the same. Also told me a few people had bought one on looks alone then sold it a few weeks down the line.
    Went for the infinito and upped the spec to campag chorus and reynolds assault carbon wheels. In celeste it looks even better than the orca and is as fast and comfortable as i could ever want.
    Sorry for the long reply but as i had my heart set on the Orca and didnt get it i thought i'd explain why.
    Test ride one, you might like it but for me it was way to harsh.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • My Orca Is the best bike I've ever ridden. Go for a test ride and you'll see. I did an end to end on mine and it was very comfortable even after a 1000miles. When I handed over the cash I thought what the hell are you doing but it brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. I have the 2010 TDR the 2011 TRG looks fantastic.
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    I have an Orca and have ridden it for near on 8000km this year including many,many 100k plus rides and I have never been uncomfortable on it.
  • thanks for all your comments-food for thought!
    definately going for a test ride first.
    how far can you go on a test ride at epic?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    noodleman wrote:
    Had my heart set on one. Went to Epic cycles and test rode one and also the Bianchi infinito.
    Money wasn't an issue so i could have got the Orca if it fit the bill.
    The guy in the shop wouldn't give me any info or opinion on the bike until i rode it so as not to influence my opinion,
    Rode the infinito first and found it fast comfortable and gorgeous to look at. Next i got on the Orca. Fast, fast fast. Very little comfort, really sketchy over rough surfaces and didn't get on with the groupset. When i returned to the shop and told the guy how it felt, he told me that most people found it to be exactly the same. Also told me a few people had bought one on looks alone then sold it a few weeks down the line.
    Went for the infinito and upped the spec to campag chorus and reynolds assault carbon wheels. In celeste it looks even better than the orca and is as fast and comfortable as i could ever want.
    Sorry for the long reply but as i had my heart set on the Orca and didnt get it i thought i'd explain why.
    Test ride one, you might like it but for me it was way to harsh.

Well this just goes to show how you should ride one and see for yourself. I could not disagree with this post more, but obviously noodleman found he prefered the bianchi and is happy with his purchase. Funny how I also went to epic and was told the exact opposite! The wilier I also rode felt like it was made from lead in comparison.
    I have had an orca for 2 years during this time it has done 7000-8000 miles and it still feels as special as the first time I rode it. The ride is not stiff at all it is very comfortable and stable. I have been drinking from the water bottle on 45 mph descents and it just does not move.
    I sometimes go out with a group and the usual suspects, cervelo r3sl, dogma, look, colnago etc and at the cafe its my bike that draws the admirers the most. I always get someone asking me about it.
    I keep thinking about getting a newer frame but i just cannot see anything that is better and as good looking. I await the 2011 orca frameset pricing feeling nervous for my wallet though.
    Try it. Buy it. Enjoy. :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    thanks for all your comments-food for thought!
    definitely going for a test ride first.

Ride from Epic's store to Bromyard and back is the norm (nice lumpy route), but if you ask, I would imagine you could go further.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Useful and interesting thread for me as I've fallen in love with the Orca from looks alone, albeit "only" the Classic which would be in my price range, but looks alone can't justify £2k+ so any other feedback would be appreciated folks
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
  • thanks again folks.
    that video is very interesting-and tempting!
  • Calvia
    Calvia Posts: 17
    I have an Orca and it is a very nice comfortable ride.

To give my tupence worth i would say...

When sizing you should try one as they are a long bike - my 54 has a 55.5 top tube.
    If you are not used to it this will feel a fair bit more stretched out then a short toop tube/high head tube sportive bike.

I have come to my Orbea from a Pinarello Paris, which was a totally awesome bike in terms of comfort and performance. For a while i was wishing i still had my pinarello but after 6 months when I really got settled on my Orbea, i wouldnt trade it.

My orbea is overall as comfortable and faster, making me want to get out of the saddle more.

The pinerello was a tougher more sturdy bike which gave a smooth ride, where I find the Orbea a bit more lively/twitchy to keep you on your toes but the handling is spot on.

I do find on the roughest of roads i still think my Paris was better, but that isnt often and the roads have to be really bad.

All in all i think it is a great bike, a great all rounder and it looks great too :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hopper1 wrote:
    thanks for all your comments-food for thought!
    definitely going for a test ride first.

Ride from Epic's store to Bromyard and back is the norm (nice lumpy route), but if you ask, I would imagine you could go further.

Did that three times on two bikes - 45 miles or so. Probably enough :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I have the Orca 2010 TFR (from Epic) which is the "Evo" frame with "Gold" carbon fibres according to Orbea's marketing. Rode the Tour of Wessex (100 - 115 miles for 3 days on the trot) on it with no comfort issues. That said until then, I was doing long rides on a Cannondale CAAD7 and so anything carbon would be comfortable by comparison. It's stiff where it needs to be and is very responsive.

The 2011 Orcas seem to be similarly priced to the 2010 ones, albeit with a downgraded frame. I think the equivalent model to mine now comes specced with "Silver" carbon fibres, but I doubt that you'd notice any difference in the ride quality.
  • I COULD TELL YOU A LOT ABOUR my three ORCA'S but i like to whisper and you would not hear.