Giro helmets

bugsrabbit
bugsrabbit Posts: 182
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
It's about time i swapped my old limar helmet and have been looking at the Giro range. The 'Atmos' fits realy well and the price is right. Is there a noticeable difference between it and the 'ionos' or 'ultralight'.

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Not much - have had both. The Ionos is lighter and a better fit than the Atmos but not by a great deal . . .
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,897
    i think the atmos is a bit narrower, so depending on head shape may fit better/worse than the ionos

there's no substitute for trying them on

fastening sysems are different, both work fine, so not much in it

the ionos has more ventilation, so in really hot weather should be a bit cooler, it also comes with a liner that you can swap for the pads in cold weather (the pads can be removed/replaced easily, fastened with small velcro-like patches), not sure if the atmos includes the liner
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Try a KasK K10 if you can....I tried about 20+ helmets before i tried the K10....

I now own a KasK K10, i'll say no more. :wink:
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • The Ionos is a superb helmet IMHO.
  • Lillywhite wrote:
    The Ionos is a superb helmet IMHO.

+1
  • The fit and ventilation of the Ionos make it the best helmet that I've worn in over 20 years of cycling. Well worth the money.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    prolight doesn't look or perform as well as the Ionos imo. New Spesh Prevail looks good but it depends which is the best fit.
    M.Rushton
  • Calvia
    Calvia Posts: 17
    Funny... I prefer the fit of the Atmos. I have 2.

I found with the Ionos and the small was too small and the medium was too big!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    RDB66 wrote:
    Try a KasK K10 if you can....I tried about 20+ helmets before i tried the K10....

I now own a KasK K10, i'll say no more. :wink:

I ended up with a Kask c50 after I couldn't get hold of a white medium atmos, I am very pleased with it, brilliant fit, and feels really comfortable on, strong recommend. Not really a make I'd heard much about before.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I found no difference between my Atmos and Ionos.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I have an Atmos. Generally I get hot easily, but the Atmos is incredibly well ventilated - so much so that outside high summer the cooling air can give me a bit of a headache!

I then end up wearing a cap under the helmet.

So I wouldn't pay extra for a better ventilated helmet for the Atmos - in fact I wouldn't actually want a cooler helmet!
  • As as been pointed out the Ionos comes with an cold weather liner than can be used when the weather gets a bit nippy. :wink:
  • As as been pointed out the Ionos comes with an cold weather liner than can be used when the weather gets a bit nippy. Wink

cold weather liner is spot on but keep a hold of the pads you take out i lost mine lol good job it comes with spare normal pads
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I didn't remove any pads to fit the inner liner!... Just slacked off the rear adjuster a little.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!