Beware the IS IT BETTER THAN....? My advice on buying....

stoatsngroats
stoatsngroats Posts: 11
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
I'm new here, and I've had my HT for less than a month, so read the following with as many 'pinches of salt' you feel is necessary!

(I'm used to road cycling, on a leisure basis, on distances of about 70miles a go, perhaps as much as twice a week at most, twice a month at worst. I've been a lycra-clad roadie for 5 years, raised nearly £1000 fro charity, and had some great times! - this is just FYI if you catch my drift!)

My opinion of cars is based on my perception - I've never owned Porsche, nor a Ferrari, but if I had a choice, it would be the Aston, based purely on perception; likewise, with cameras, it would be Canon over Nikon, and with TV's, Sony over Toshiba, ad nauseum for everything, including bikes. However, cost is ALWAYS a major factor for me - I won't buy a 'name' unless I can understand WHY it's better.

(In a recent study of wine, 10 wine EXPERTS were fooled into choosing a 'Labelled' wine over a cheap 'supermarket' wine AFTER tasting, even though the wine was ALL CHEAP STUFF! I'm just saying that more expensive is not always better....'Marketing' costs bucks!)

It's worth looking at specification differences, SRAM X5's wobbled much less laterally and longitudinally than a Shimano (this on a video somwhere online); I don't know what this means from a useability point-of-view, nor from a quality point-of-view, but my understanding of physics would imply that it MAY be more stable - the converse is true of course, but nevertheless, my choice of X5's over Shimano was based on this video.

Tektro Hydraulic brakes were my choice because hydraulic brakes are most commonly used on vehicles which on a daily basis perform in more demanding situations than I'm ever gonna put my bike through, and lest face it - changing cables every 2-3 years is a right PIA isn't it...?!!

My whole point is this -

1) - Base your purchase on what you can spend, and stick to it.
2) - Search this world on web for what you believe you'll need, and understand WHY things are different AND how it'll affect your riding.
3) - Read others opinions on the gear you've chosen.
4) - BUY YOUR BIKE!

AND THEN FINALLY...

Dont' despair that some tell you you shoud'dve bought X rather than Y, or A is crap - you should've gotten B instead - it was cheaper, better made, 2 grams lighter, and a better colour! And also, some reviews are not really reviews, more 'marketing'....(think about it!)

Be happy with your choice, learn what it (and you!) are capable of, and then, make ALL that a learning lesson for your next purchase.

The most important bit of course, is RIDE , and ENJOY it!

hth :wink:
Carry on my wayward son..

Comments

• I was just about to say exactly the same thing!

All very true (but Shimano is better than SRAM!) :lol:
  • I was just about to say exactly the same thing!

Great minds eh...? :lol:
    All very true (but Shimano is better than SRAM!) :lol:

Yeh, right, whatever you say! :roll:

Thanks for the thoughts tho - despite your thoughts on Shimano I won't hold that against you! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    3) - Read others opinions on the gear you've chosen.
    I tend to find that people who've paid big money for things will tolerate more crappyness than someone who did not pay for somthing, but has tried it out.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    But people who don't pay for it are beholden to the people that gave them it (and advertise in their magazines and on their websites) so can't be trusted completely either ;)
  • I tend to find that people who've paid big money for things will tolerate more crappyness than someone who did not pay for somthing, but has tried it out.
    (There's a HUGE concern I have here, about ANYBODY paying big money,a nd allowing it to be 'crappy' - BUT i take your point as it's made!)
    and...
    Atz wrote:
    But people who don't pay for it are beholden to the people that gave them it (and advertise in their magazines and on their websites) so can't be trusted completely either ;)

...are both significant indicators to show that our whole understanding of bikes/kit/equipment etc. are ALWAYS gonna end up allowing disagreement as to whether that item is good or not.

Gleaning info can produce these discrepancies of opinion, but equally, can identify those products which EVERYONE agrees is GREAT! (Like SMART 1/2w Lights! :D )

It's the taking in of the information which allows OUR OWN judgement to be made, that's the point.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Demo days are the only way to go in my opinion. Comparing bikes to cars is fine, but cars don't have to fit particularly well, and at the top end the performance is completely irrelevant. Most bike components come in a vast array of aesthetic options to eliminate that from the equation, I think most people do already buy based on performance and value.

The Shimano vs SRAM youtube video seems fairly irrelevant, I could find internet support to back up anything I wanted to think. You'd have been better off just going into a shop and fiddling with the shifters on a Shimano specced bike and comparing to a SRAM one. Some brands are pretty safe bets, Shimano and SRAM are certainly two of these companies.

Same goes for the Aurigas, they're good value brakes, I have a set myself. I also have a set of Formulas which cost a bit more, the extra money has meant it's much easier to find a bleed kit, they're lighter, with more adjustability. When I'm out on my bike it's generally to escape from work and have fun, so any component that makes this experience more seamless and needs less faffing is a bonus.

Weight is the most frustrating stat in my eyes, it's about the only quantitative way of comparing components and often things sell through that alone, when in reality for the vast majority of users it's irrevelant. You may well even be buying an inferior product due to trying to dodge 100 grams. Narrow rimmed wheels with less spokes, flexy forks, tiny saddles perched on bendy seatposts. I'm talking from experience on this one, you can go too far and makre a fantastic bike absolutely terrible in the pursuit of going up a hill 2% faster! :)
  • I recently bought a Ghost AMR 5700, now I know a lot of you will be thinking who are Ghost and what the hell is an AMR 5700!!!
    Within my budget were Stumpjumper Comp and Trek Fuel EX8, which the salesman waxed lyrical about the brands and how Ghost were an unknown without hte history of Specialized and Trek blah blah blah. But for me having ridden them all I couldn't see the value in them over the Ghost. As a consequence I'm very proud to tell people I own a Ghost and it's fantastic.
    So I guess I'd concur entirely with the OP.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    now I know a lot of you will be thinking who are Ghost and what the hell is an AMR 5700!!!

They're not hugely off the radar, there must have been a good 6-8 bike tests with them in this year? There's 4 on this site alone of 2010 mountain bikes, it sits at pretty much the same price as a Stumpjumper FSR Comp, with pretty much the same level of components. The Stumpjumper has a considerably longer top tube, so it'll fit some riders better, fit others less so.

There's no right and wrong secret answer, people just need to test bikes.
  • Thanks aaron and Toasty, for your thoughts!
    Toasty wrote:

...and this was really my whole point to those people who are asking the question " Which this" and "What's best that".

Toasty, regarding my comments on the youtbe video of Shimano/SRAM, I perhaps gave the impression that I chose SOLELY on the video - I didn't! As you said correctly, test riding gave me the final decision, the video just gave me something to think about, and review, whilst on the test ride. With this kind of thing ( bear in mind that I'm used to STI's on a a road bike!) it really os ONLY down to how they feel to the individual - I noticed a difference in the way the X5's changed, and felt that it was a 'cleaner' change - something which needs to be experienced. I'm not saying that they're necessarily better!

To sum up, my OP was trying to make the point - TEST RIDE ALWAYS! :wink:
  • Toasty wrote:
    now I know a lot of you will be thinking who are Ghost and what the hell is an AMR 5700!!!

They're not hugely off the radar, there must have been a good 6-8 bike tests with them in this year? There's 4 on this site alone of 2010 mountain bikes, it sits at pretty much the same price as a Stumpjumper FSR Comp, with pretty much the same level of components. The Stumpjumper has a considerably longer top tube, so it'll fit some riders better, fit others less so.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but could you point me in the direction of some of these reviews on here please, as I couldn't find any when I was looking to buy the bike.
    Aaron
  • Toasty wrote:

Thanks for that Toasty.
    Got slightly crossed wires I'm afraid, I meant reviews on the AMR 5700. Found lots on the 7500 but very litle on the 5700.