Waterproof rear light

theotherjake
theotherjake Posts: 237
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Can anyone recommend a rear light that wont die after a wet ride home? I bought a Smart polaris and it died on its first wet ride yesterday.

Whats the point of a rear light that doesn't work after getting sprayed by the back wheel?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42801

Jake.

Comments

• Can anyone recommend a rear light that wont die after a wet ride home? I bought a Smart polaris and it died on its first wet ride yesterday.

I've had good results with the Blackburn Mars 3 & 4 lights. Both have received good soakings and coverings in mud from rear wheel spray (I don't use mudguards). I've also had good results with some very cheap unbranded lights bought at a shop near work at least until the bracket broke (I still use one clipped to my bag though).

Mike
  • Knog Gekko

Been using mine daily for over a year in all weathers. Fits neatly to my seatpost and is really good for being seen as it has a few flashing settings.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    +1 for the Blackburn Mars'
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Cateye LD610 has been fine for me, and like the Blackburns very bright. Also had a smart for a while that's been fine.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I use a Cateye LD600 and have done for years. All weathers, no mudguard, no problem.

That picture shows it horizontal, but it can also be mounted vertically which is how I have it. This means that I can have the power button at the top (in the pic it is to the left, at the back) so that it is as far from the spray as possible and the battery compartment is at the bottom so any water that does get in can drip out.

The only precaution I take with it is to take it indoors with me when it has got wet, take the batteries out and leave it somewhere warm to dry out (near, not on a radiator) as sometimes the batteries have got wet so I assume the internals are the same.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I just ordered a Cateye LD610 in white, hopefully it will last longer than the Smart!! Plus it matches my Boardman Pro!

Cheers all

Jake

5LED.jpg
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    -1 for the Blackburn Mars, well the last one I had anyway.
    I bought one about 3 years ago and it was marvellous, really bright and took AAA batteries so easy to keep charged up. Managed to lose it around Llandegla about 12 months ago as it wasn't tied on and the bracket wasn't as good as I thought.
    The replacement started acting up after a few wet commutes and unfortunately I couldn't really claim it on the warranty because I had a go at fixing it (which prolonged its life a few months). It's still usable, but the only way to turn it on/off is to put the batteries in/out.

I've bought a Blackburn Flea - which broke after THREE rides, only one of which was wet. It's been replaced on the warranty though so I'll see if the new one is any better this week.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    theotherjake, is that a front light? I ask as it has the mount from my Cateye LD270 front light but the body of my Cateye LD600 rear light.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've always found Smart lights nice and bright and relatively cheap but often a disaster in the rain. They're obviously designed by someone who lives in a hot climate as when the rain hits them they just go pear shaped. Someone here suggested smearing vaseline round teh rubber seal. I was thinking of wrapping mine in cling film to protect it from the rain.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I've always found Smart lights nice and bright and relatively cheap but often a disaster in the rain. They're obviously designed by someone who lives in a hot climate as when the rain hits them they just go pear shaped. Someone here suggested smearing vaseline round teh rubber seal. I was thinking of wrapping mine in cling film to protect it from the rain.

I used to have real problems with mine, until I fitted mudguards. In my experience they're alright in rain, they just don't like getting sprayed by the wheels! Clingfilm works temporarily, but it's not a particularly good practical fix because it stops clinging when it gets wet!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The LD610 is a great light with multiple modes - I always like the cylon sweep when it's mounted horizontally 8)

I couple mine with a Cateye LD1100 which gives me a total of 15 LEDs out the back of the bike. This also a great waterproof (rainproof) light with 2 banks of independent lights.

Both are bloody bright, but the LD1100 is a bit of a bugger with rechargeables as the fit is a bit tight (AA size)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • when i was a courier I use to wrap my rear lights in a foodbag, tie off and clip into the holder.
    never had a problem.
    recharge batteries each night and have two clip lights to go on my bag or back.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Grrr - reading all these great reviews for the LD610 - when mine has just stopped working due to getting a drenching on the way back from France. I will admit it did get really soaked and I then just left it on the bike for a couple of days. Needless to say it is now dead, but I am hoping it will spring back into life when it dries out.

Other than that, it is (was) a great light which is easy to mount and use etc.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    theotherjake, is that a front light? I ask as it has the mount from my Cateye LD270 front light but the body of my Cateye LD600 rear light.
    No its a rear lamp. Just put it on, must say the service from Merlin cycles was really quick. Free recorded delivery.

Rain is forecast tomorrow so I will let you know if it survives my blast into Piccadilly Circus!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    No its a rear lamp. Just put it on, must say the service from Merlin cycles was really quick. Free recorded delivery.

Rain is forecast tomorrow so I will let you know if it survives my blast into Piccadilly Circus!