Wheel question- 9mm Thru Axles.

KevUK
KevUK Posts: 111
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hey guys, ive recently noticed that my 9mm QR revs are flexing and causing a very annoying disc rub when either on the flats or tight twisty stuff, and im led to believe its due to the standard 9mm QR. Now ive recently seen 9mm thru axles, but im unsure how this works as ive not seen any wheels with a 9mm thru axle before.
My wheelset at present is Mavic Crossride Discs and id imagine it wouldnt fit, but what exactly would i be needing to get my front end slightly stiffer.

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    You can use a 9mm through axle on some DT hubs, Specialized Stout and Hope Pro2

I ran one, and it did make a noticable difference. The DT swiss RWS system is very sturdy!
  • KevUK
    Hmm looks like a new set of wheels, as ive searched everywhere but these crossrides are not convertable :( well that puts a dampner on that plan.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a solid, bolt up front axle.
  • Quick release 'axles' are 10mm front and 9mm rear and are part of the wheel hub casings. All the quick release does is hold the dropout onto hub and is thinner, e.g. 5mm.

Through bolts like the DT Swiss RWS system replace the part of the hub casing that the dropout rests on with a larger diameter 'quick release'. It does feel more solid than standard QR, but not a great deal. As Super says, if you want real stiff, go with solid, bolt-ons but increase weight.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Quick release 'axles' are 10mm front and 9mm rear and are part of the wheel hub casings.

wrong way round.

9mm (3/8") front and 10mm rear. there are some 10mm fronts that shimano did years ago as an option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Quick release 'axles' are 10mm front and 9mm rear and are part of the wheel hub casings.

wrong way round.

9mm (3/8") front and 10mm rear. there are some 10mm fronts that shimano did years ago as an option.

Is it? Thought it might have been! Thanks for the correction.
  • KevUK
    Right, so my only option at the moment is to swap to a solid axle..and the other option is i assume new wheels that can take the 9mm axle QR. Ill look into the solid axle a little...Also would a decent QR Skewer make a little difference? its currently got the standard mavic skewers..