Off Road bike trailers.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Anyone use them?

The idea sounds a bit odd. Does it seriously effect how the bike acts, especially on rough stuff and downhill?

Cheers.

Comments

• edjo
    edjo Posts: 50
    got a BOB and an extrawheel and toured with both. taken both through trail centres and the extrawheel travels a red route much better. having said that, both are tricky! tight switchbacks are really tricky and small drops become an interesting experience. as for steep descents fully loaded including lightweight camping gear...well you can guess the momentum situation arriving at corners. IME I'd use an extrawheel if you're going to use it off-road regularly. and, again IME, trailers are much better and controlled than any panniers!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Forgive my ignorance. What is the difference between a BOB and an extra wheel? Examples perhaps? :lol:
  • beckner1
    beckner1 Posts: 3
    IME?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    In My Experience.

Probably.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • beckner1
    thanks, so which one would be better for carrying luggage? Panniers i assume are saddle bags? kinda awkward if your in and our of switch backs due to balance issues? and a trailer? couldn't it get caught in ruts and such?
  • Daz555
    edited March 2011
    The extrawheel is a good alternative to having to carry front panniers if rears alone are not going to provide you with enough storage space. Front panniers cause handling issues which make offroading extremely problematic.
    beckner1 wrote:
    Panniers i assume are saddle bags?
    Panniers and saddle bags are different. Clue is in the name! :wink:

saddle%2Bbag.jpg
    Come in all shapes and sizes - above is just a small one probably used for tools/tube etc.

carradice-superc-rear-med.jpg
    Variations available for front and rear, and of course for the Extrawheel.
  • beckner1
    see to me the lower picture are saddle bags. but either way i understand more clearly now. thank you.
  • Daz555
    beckner1 wrote:
    see to me the lower picture are saddle bags. but either way i understand more clearly now. thank you.
    To be fair I have heard bike luggage in general terms referred to as saddle bags as well.