Competitive Friday thread - resting heart rate

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
So I've measured my resting heart rate over the last few evenings and have come up with a figure of 44. How does everyone else do?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• I average 45 but if I cycle every day (36 miles) ti seems to rest at a bit higher until I take a rest day. By Sunday night I'm down to 43/44 as long as I feel 100%.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Low 40s normally.

Was pootling home last night (I know, the shame...), and looked down at some traffic lights to see that my HR was 68. Serious call to MTFU!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    never really pay attention to that.. just checked it now and it's about 60ish I finished cycling 80-90 mins ago...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had to go to the hospital a few years ago for a football injury and a nurse took my heart rate and blood pressure with the machine they use.
    I can't remember what my BP was, but my HR was 38. She was surprised so took it again with the machine then again manually.
    She asked me if I was an athlete.

I was so proud of that figure that it is now part of my username.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Can get it down to the high 40s at a push, but that's last thing at night after listening to my Biosphere album. Daytime resting is around 55-60. Maximum HR recorded so far is low 190s, but I think I might make 200 at a push.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • We should also have a 'what is your heart rate right now' thread!

63 for me but just had a poo which could have raised it a bit! :lol::lol::lol:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Don't really measure my heart rate that regularly. I got the "are you an athlete" comment from a nurse a few months ago but heart rate was only in the mid 50s I think. Proper "resting" it might be a bit lower. Max heart rate I have recorded was around 220 BPM, racing a mountain bike up hill at high altitude in Bolivia - my head felt like it was about to pop! Usually I top out at under 180 BPM, I think, but I generally don't bother with a HRM.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I had to go to the hospital a few years ago for a football injury and a nurse took my heart rate and blood pressure with the machine they use.
    I can't remember what my BP was, but my HR was 38. She was surprised so took it again with the machine then again manually.
    She asked me if I was an athlete.

I was so proud of that figure that it is now part of my username.

Heh. I had that in June. Woke up in the middle of the night with chest pains so, as a *cough* middle aged man in lycra, I phoned NHS direct, who put me on to the ambulance service. They arrived and took my heart rate and asked me if I was an athlete as I had a resting heart rate of 39. This was in the height of my Marmotte training; it's doubtless gone up now.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    According to the lidl heart rate monitor my resting heart rate is over 60 :(

No doubt some scientist will come along in a minute and tell me I will be dead in a few years :roll:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    suzyb wrote:

No doubt some scientist will come along in a minute and tell me I will be dead in a few years :roll:

On your bike more, hun. That'll sort it. :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cafewanda wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

On your bike more, hun. That'll sort it. :)
    Wouldn't worry. That's still lower than average.

Mine was once around 40. Not sure what it is these days.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mines mid 50s proper resting but around 60 more realistically.

Then again, its not a great indicator of fitness, I'll make a mockery of my mates with lower resting hear rates on a bike, although they'll do the same to me off the bike, meh :lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mine's zero at rest, but then when at rest I tend to be back in my special box in a layer of soil, working on my dislike of sunlight & garlic.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just checked mine, it was 45.

As I'm on my own in the office I think I should do some more resting to try to get it down.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i dont know mine but i can garentee it is a lot higher than 70. Im fat and unfit you see
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Ages, guys, post your ages, too....

me;
    48BPM at 46 years of age, and still getting fitter (I hope!)
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited October 2010
    42@ 42; I've also had comments regarding this in the past whilst in hospital and been asked whether I cycle.
  • 56 resting 46 years of age, overweight and stressed
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    56 at age 63
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Mine tends to hovver around the mid 40's and I've just turned 40.

It's not always an indication of fitness and can sometimes be genetic. A friend of mine hovvers around the late 30's and he's not even that fit.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    56 at age 63

now THOSE are impressive figures, sir!
    hope I'm in that kind of shape in 17 years time! :lol:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    just took mine at 54, which matches previous resting readings for me.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mine resting first thing in the morning is low 90s an low 100s during the day, I'm neither over weight or unfit, in my defence my recovery rate is very fast.

I stopped using a HR monitor quite a while ago as I began obsessing about zone training which spoilt the ride.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 48 the other day when in hospital.. nurse was concerned that it was low though I told her I was cycling..
  • Mine is zero. I am a zombie. I win

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    About 45bpm, almost 42 years old. I'm a good couple of stone overweight, which doesn't help.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)