Shouldering the bike - advice please

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited October 2010 in Amateur race
As a very recent convert to 'cross racing i'm on a rather steep learning curve - all these skills i've never needed when time trialling! The biggest issue that's cropped up in practice has been carrying the bike. I've looked at plenty of pictures of how i should be carrying it but to be honest i'm struggling. I seem to end up with the top tube resting right on the bone on the point of my shoulder (i'm quite scrawny :oops: ). I just find it really uncomfortable and trying to run makes it even worse. Help?!

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Have you seen this series of videos by Martin Eadon? Have a trawl through them because one of them covers shouldering the bike:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5X-e-9q ... re=related

Ruth
  • Thanks for that, Ruth. Part 2 covers it quite comprehensively - i know what i was doing wrong now! Just got time for a quick practice tomorrow before the SRAM series race at Derby on Saturday! I see you're giving 'cross a go too. Those evening races at Rugby were great fun - a bit worried about doing a course with obstacles though! :shock:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I don't really shoulder mine, as again the top tube rests on my collar bone and is painful. Most of the obstacles in the London league you can either just lift the bike up, or run with it alongside you.

Alot of courses will have natural obstacles, we have steep hills, that the top guys just ride up, but last year I ended up 3/4 of the way up, and having to jump off and push the rest. Others could be steps, of even planks of wood, though again the top guys will bunny hop them :shock: Don't get worried about them, I doubt many are too technical in club promoted events.

I will have to watch the videos however, to see if I can improve it.
  • BeaconRuth
    The advice I've had from the experienced local 'cross riders is that few of our local league's courses demand much in the way of dismounting/mounting or shouldering your bike. However, I guess there are going to be times when a course or slope is too muddy/slippery and we'll be resorting to running.

Richie G - yes, those floodlit events were great introductions and I was extremely glad of them! They really helped me start to get a feel for what it's all about............. much to learn but I think that's why I'm enjoying it so much. I've got such admiration for the guys and girls who are technically proficient.

Ruth
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I used to put a piece of pipe lagging around the angle between the top tube and seat tube to overcome the problem or there are also purpose built pads for this out there.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    I sewed a shoulder pad into my jersey to stop the frame jarring my collar bone.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I manned-up.

When you put your arm through make sure you don't let it rest on the frame as it just increases the weight. Try the bear some weight of the bike with it to make life a little more comfortable.

Oh yeah, and man-up a bit.
  • BeaconRuth
    GiantMike wrote:
    Do I have to 'man-up' too?

Ruth
  • Richie G
    GiantMike wrote:

Ruth

:shock:
  • GiantMike
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Ruth

No Ruth. Women are far tougher than men. You'd be 'manning-down'!
  • BeaconRuth
    GiantMike wrote:
    Not quite sure how to take that, but I will assume it was meant as a compliment. :D

Anyone else have a close encounter with a great deal of mud today?

Ruth
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

Moi, but managed to pick up road rash FFS !! There was only a small patch of tarmac in it and I went sliding all over it. Trip to dentist tomorrow :cry:

Otherwise it was a thoroughly excellent experience. Roll on next Sunday.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

Just a wee bit :lol: , Hog Hill with rain is a complete mud bath, at least falling off was less painful, trying to keep control with very slippery gloves is always a laugh. :lol:

Damn sight more fun than the hill climb in the morning :wink:
  • GiantMike
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Yep. Won the veteran's class at the RAF CX Champs today. I took up CX a year ago and set this as a target. Got a great trophy for the mantlepiece now!

Did a fair bit of 'manning-up' and bike carrying. Not a single cycle-carrying wince from me!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You da man GiantMike!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Not quite sure how to take that, but I will assume it was meant as a compliment. :D

Ruth

Just realised you were at the Friary. Think I might have been chatting to you as we were wading through the car park puddle at the end
  • BeaconRuth
    MikeWW wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Ruth
    Just realised you were at the Friary. Think I might have been chatting to you as we were wading through the car park puddle at the end
    I'm afraid I chatted to a few people who were giving themselves and their bikes a slosh-down in that muddy puddle. You weren't the kind chap who lent me a brush were you? I must meet you properly if you're going to be at a few of the WMCCL events - am I right in thinking you're not riding yourself again yet? Was your son in the Juniors? He must have lapped me, I guess.............. :oops:

Ruth
  • Richie G
    GiantMike wrote:
    Not quite sure how to take that, but I will assume it was meant as a compliment.

Ruth

We were blessed with pretty good weather at the SRAM NDCL race at Allestree Park on saturday. Still plenty of muddy bits though! Got my first racing crash out of the way too - lost it on the singletrack with a lap to go and hit a tree stump! No harm done, but lost a few places. :? Biggest bike race i've ever been involved in - 184 starters!
  • Richie G
    GiantMike wrote:
    Not quite sure how to take that, but I will assume it was meant as a compliment.

Ruth

We were blessed with pretty good weather at the SRAM NDCL race at Allestree Park on saturday. Still plenty of muddy bits though! Got my first racing crash out of the way too - lost it on the singletrack with a lap to go and hit a tree stump! No harm done, but lost a few places. :? Biggest bike race i've ever been involved in - 184 starters!
  • MikeWW
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Ruth
    I'm afraid I chatted to a few people who were giving themselves and their bikes a slosh-down in that muddy puddle. You weren't the kind chap who lent me a brush were you? I must meet you properly if you're going to be at a few of the WMCCL events - am I right in thinking you're not riding yourself again yet? Was your son in the Juniors? He must have lapped me, I guess.............. :oops:

Ruth

Wasn't me with the brush. I am not racing again(yet) but my son was in the Juniors. He finished 2nd to Luke. Should be at all of the WMCL events except where they clash with National Trophy events so will look out for you
  • BeaconRuth
    MikeWW wrote:
    Wasn't me with the brush. I am not racing again(yet) but my son was in the Juniors. He finished 2nd to Luke. Should be at all of the WMCL events except where they clash with National Trophy events so will look out for you
    Well done to Alex. He must have lapped me once, if not twice - but I'm not yet skilled enough in this lark to take much notice of who is passing me. Staying upright takes up too much of my attention at this stage! Maybe see you at the Solihull event week after next then. When do you think you'll be back racing yourself?

Ruth
  • MikeWW
    Yes, amazed how quickly Alex has taken to it. We only got a cross bike last November that we shared for racing and neither of us had a clue back then what it was all about. Will be at Solihull. Seeing the consultant early November so will see what he says about my shoulder and level of risk from off road racing. Think its probably going to be January before the ligaments are sufficiently healed but will see.In the meantime been back on the road bike for the last 4 weeks after 9 off and am starting to get some fitness back so not all bad.