If Contador is suspended, what happens to Saxo Bank team?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited October 2010 in Pro race
Assuming he's suspended, does the team fold? Is almost everyone out of a job?

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    depends

have they signed?

is there a bug out clause in the event of drug scandal ?

dunno

lawyers etc=tedious BS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    All of the sponsors will leave. All of the riders will leave - except one. Richie Porte.

Riis will have a spare $100k knocking about and Porte is under contract, so he has to stay.

Sure he's a little overpaid for his ironing, mowing, babysitting etc. But it's a contract. It can't be broken if circumstances change.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'd predict Saxo would pull out and the team would implode.

RichN95 has a good point though. Porte will have to stay on a Riis' man-servant for the year.
  • No doubt there's an out-clause. I would suspect this to be the norm in pro-cycling.

Riis could sign all the French riders soon to be released from Bouygues :-)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Porte has agreed to stay on with Riis.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • "Riis could sign all the French riders soon to be released from Bouygues"

And all those left unemployed after the Cervelo fiasco.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Having lost his current crop of big name riders and with his one new rider suspended I would suspect that Saxo would use the opportunity to get out.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Riis could say he was unaware of the riders past and has released him from his contract. Any 'misbehviour' was done under the Astana banner not Saxo
    M.Rushton
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Maybe I'm being ultra cynical but Contador is still under contract to Astana until the end of the year and so technically is not a Saxo Bank rider - therefore Riis' team have not yet committed a drugs offence.

I just think it will continue as before unless a rider is busted on Riis' watch.