Blenheim sportive

rhodo123
rhodo123 Posts: 3
I am signed up for the Blenheim sportive this sunday and it is my first sportive. The weather forecast looks like heavy rain. I dont fancy cycling 100 miles in the rain. Does anybody have any tips on waterproof clothing or suitable clothing that i should be considering for the day if it ends up raining all day. If the forecast is correct it cold turn out to be a bit of an ordeal. Im all for a bit of suffering but 100 miles in heavy rain would probably break me. Anybody got any experiece of cycling similar distances in bad conditions.

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I'm doing it too with a bunch of mates. Forecast looks like light rain to start then getting progressively worse.

Did a similar ride at the Dartmoor Sportive once. Feet will get wet but was very glad I wore my goretex with very light layer underneath to keep dry.
    I use thick waxy muscle rub (sportbalm) on arms and feet as well if it's going to be rubbish weather.
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    4 of us from Newport have just wimped out after seeing the forcast. We didn't fancy driving up at 5am then riding for 7hrs in the pi**ing down rain. :?
    Dissappointed as we did it last year & it was a cracking route, not too taxing but well marshalled and well organinsed.
    Will now look at maybe doing the Severn Bridge sportive instead on the 17th.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    lemon63 wrote:
    4 of us from Newport have just wimped out after seeing the forcast. We didn't fancy driving up at 5am then riding for 7hrs in the pi**ing down rain. :?
    Dissappointed as we did it last year & it was a cracking route, not too taxing but well marshalled and well organinsed.
    Will now look at maybe doing the Severn Bridge sportive instead on the 17th.

Same here, I chickened out last night. The thought of driving off at 05:00 and then riding in (forecast) 25mm rain for 6 or 7 hours then trying to get car out of muddy field and driving home soaking was not appealing :cry:

Good luck to all those taking part and hope the weather wasn't as bad as expected. Shame as it was a really good event last year.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    It wasn't quite as bad as thought, mainly due to the weather being nice and warm. Rain most of the way round but not belting down as I thought it might be. Glad I did it.
    Felt sorry for the marshals though.
  • ped
    ped Posts: 17
    Weather could have been worse, as I reckon there were at least 20 minutes when it wasn't raining at all. :wink:

I found it pretty tough going--mainly through my lack of recent training rather than the course, so only myself to blame there. 'Best' bit for me was managing to get a pinch-flat on the cobbles at the entrance to Blenheim on the way back in, almost within sight of the finish.

I'm not sure how many people did (or didn't) show up. It certainly wasn't as big a field as I was expecting. Still, I guess even the no-shows entry fee's went to charidee.
    rjsmith wrote:
    Felt sorry for the marshals though.
    Agreed. A top job done by every one of them.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Best organised sportive I have done - Marshals were fantastic.
  • GusG
    GusG Posts: 4
    What an event, really did enjoy my first sportive. I don't know my time yet. does anybody know where we find out.
  • Have a look here for the times. They are in alphabetical order.

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public ... aceid=1347