Tube sizes

mrfmilo
mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Am buying some lighter tubes for racing, mine weigh nearly 500grams each atm :lol: Looking at Maxxiss Welter Weights, but they only go upto 2.1 - question is can I run these in 2.5/2.2 tyres at around 30psi? Or will I suffer from loads of punctures and the tyres rolling off..?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5840

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Will be fine.

not worried bout pinch flast with the inner spread so thinly? I frankly don't trust welterweight tubes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What kind of racing? You might be better off with 'normal' tubes and smaller/lighter tyres.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have used Welterweights for some time in a wide variety of tyres - I like the red valve caps. Blackthorns kill them same as any other tube but otherwise no probs.

Cheng Shin, Tesco, Conti, Schwalbe they all seem pretty much the same.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    DH racing, so not after superlight XC tubes, just something lighter than the DH ones in there as the rolling weight is huuuggeeee. The Maxxis FR tubes look good, 230ish grams so in the middle but bigger/tougher.

Just don't want to go too thin and get loads of snakebites...

Cheers

EDIT: It's pinch flats i'm worried about rather than ''traditional'' punctures so to say - thorns etc. I'm running a dual ply tyre and a single ply, so I think light tube in the dual and tougher one in the single?