First sportive at Blenheim.

My first ever sportive this Sunday not sure what to expect other than rain. I have caught the cycling bug recently after spending 8wks on crutches June to August after knee surgery and being told cycling would be good for my recovery.
Trouble is my first road bike has yet to arrive so will have to complete on my Boardman hybrid can you see this being a problem, only doing the 60 miles?

Comments

• No, you should be fine...

Make sure you pump your tyres appropriately... if you have 27-28 mm tyres, go for 100 psi if it's dry and 85-90 if it's wet and you'll be OK
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    No, you should be fine...

Make sure you pump your tyres appropriately... if you have 27-28 mm tyres, go for 100 psi if it's dry and 85-90 if it's wet and you'll be OK

Where did you get these numbers from? I have 28mm's on my hyrid & the reccomended pressure is 115-125psi - are you saying that you should take up to 20% off that in the dry & about 30% in the wet? Why? :?
    Surely the correct advice is "pump your tyres to towards the top end of the recommended level if dry & towards the low end if wet", rather than making definitive statements without knowing the make of tyre or any other details.
  • Pretre wrote:
    No, you should be fine...

Where did you get these numbers from? I have 28mm's on my hyrid & the reccomended pressure is 115-125psi - are you saying that you should take up to 20% off that in the dry & about 30% in the wet? Why? :?
    Surely the correct advice is "pump your tyres to towards the top end of the recommended level if dry & towards the low end if wet", rather than making definitive statements without knowing the make of tyre or any other details.

I prefer to make a definitive statement and please take it as a good piece of advice...for road tyres 23-28, if you are a normal weight rider, ride 100 PSI in the dry and 90 in the wet and you'll never regret it. I seem to puncture 4 times less frequently than my club mates who think 120 is the way to go...
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Pressure depends on a tyre width, rider weight and the road surface.
    Unless you're VERY heavy, putting more than 90-100 PSI in a 28mm tyre is pointless, as extra pressure doesn't increase speed but just reduces comfort and grip.
    http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
  • you'll only need the "wet" pressures advice.

Weather looks grim at best, typical the Saturday looks really nice!!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Forget tyre pressure it's strength of mind you'll need doing 60 miles in the pouring rain. If you're tough mentally you'll be fine and proud of your acheivement. Let us know how you get on?

Oh and GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Thanks for replys. Tyre pressures now sorted. Now just need to know best clothing and what to expect. Could be a few hours spent in the wind and rain for a newcomer. Thanks for support. Still looking forward to it despite the weather forecast .
  • First sportive completed. Would like to say I enjoyed it but I would be lying. Whether it be only 8wks from crutches, my hybrid, my 141/2 stone or --- run out of excuses now. completed the 60 miles in just over 5hrs but I was the one going backwards at most hills. Thats only spurred me on to get fitter and quicker and cant wait for arrival of my first road bike. Thanks for all support, marshalling etc
  • Well done... on a day like today finish time is irrelevant... completing it is a great achievement.

I bet with my tyre pressure advice you didn't puncture, did you? :D
  • I also done the 100 mile route on Sunday. Had a good time despite the rain and dirt.

After20 odd miles there was a group of 6 or 7 of us averaging 18 mph for 20 miles or so then unfortunaltey i droped off them and the hills came!! Averaged 16mph in the end and finished in 6 hrs 15 mins.

Does anyone know when and where photos will be up? As there were alot of cameramen on the route.

I also fundraised for BCC and was dissapointed not to get a medal for my efforts!

Also was there anywhere to collect our finish time? I went to the tea and coffee tent next to the finish was there somewhere else we were supposed to go after?
  • smitton
    smitton Posts: 13
    This was the second year that me and my 2 brothers have done this friendly sportive. We did the 100 mile route and were surprised at how few riders there were out on the road. We are not the fastest peleton at 15 mph average but there seemed very few riders finishing with us. I suspect that a lot opted for the 60 mile route in view of the conditions. Has to be said that the weather was pretty awful for the first few hours but got better throughout the day. Amazingly for a figure of 8 loop the wind was behind or at you side for the vast majority of the time.
    Food stops were an improvement over last year, marshalling, signage and support was top notch. Saw quite a few walking wounded being attended to by the ever present paramedics. Large number of punctures among the riders due to the grit on the roads I imagine. I think the withdrawl of the medal was a little mean to be honest. The "Blenheim Palace Sportvie" bag was a piece of tat that hardly anyone took. People like to take a medal home there is little doubt. Highlight of the day was one of the http://www.angelride.org.uk team steaming past everyone on a hill. They ride 3 speed Pashley and are sponsored for charity.
    We will be back next year and again the only disappointment is that you miss all the other cycling attractions taking place at the Palace. Would love to see the Brompton championships.