Going to the Worlds

Oz Chief
Oz Chief Posts: 176
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Geelong is 4 hours from my house, so just down the road really. I am going from today (Thursday) to Sunday.

I will need some help though.

I have only started following cycling in the last 3 years and hooked. I'm forever boring my wife & family about how exciting it is. We were already married by the time she realised how lame I was.

Due to the piss poor coverage of cycling in Australia, the only races I get to see are the Tour, Paris-Roubaix, Tour Down Under, & some stages of the Giro & Vuelta. Even with this deprived appetite I still know most of the cyclist coming to the Worlds and who has a chance & so on.

My question(s). What do you do at the races? Is there any specific place I should go? Should I be near the top of the hill, or at the finish line? Should I move around a bit? Is there things that I shouldn't do? Do I try and keep time of the riders in the TT to know who is going well and who isn't? How will I know who wins if I'm not at the finish line?

Or is it just - Go along for the festival of it all & if you see a bike bonus - kind of like going to the horse races.

So please, some from people who have stood at the side of the road, waiting for wheels.

NB The forum tried to change piss to piss. Made me giggle.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Park yourself near the top of one the big hills - and you'll get to see the riders a lot easier than if you're on a flat part of the course. They will be going slow enough up the climbs to actually see who they are whereas on the flat parts they will just whiz by over and over in a blur.

Don't worry about the timings and you can always find out later who won.

Mostly it's about soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying it all.

(The best riders in the TT are usually the last ones to start. Cancelara is the very last man to start)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Oz Chief wrote:
    How will I know who wins if I'm not at the finish line?
    Welcome to possibly the world's worst spectator sport - pick a spot near a big screen TV if at all possible so you get the best of both worlds.

And don't expect the men's RR to get going until about 4 hours plus have passed. The bunch will probably just ride the first 200km fairly steady before the fireworks start.