buying a new bike frame

southbeds
southbeds Posts: 30
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
hi , i would like to buy a new mtb frame , x brand or something like that, will it come ready to build on, or will i have to face the B.B. i have a 18in and what something smaller14in or 16in and just move the parts over, tony

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many of the parts may not fit - headset, fork steerer length, seat clamp, seat post, front mech, cables and so on.

Plus the BB will probably need facing too if you plan to fit an external BB.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    find out as much as you can about the new frame before you buy - ie seat post, seat post clamp, headset etc etc.

Also things like does your front mech have a reducer ring so it can be used on other sized frames etc.
  • thanks for that.i have see the HandsomeDog XC01 Frame,and will have to buy some newish pieces from the classifieds. but will the frame be ok just as it is. if i use an standard internal bb,
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    yeah as long as that is what your cranks fit.

might want to make sure the threads are all clean and free of paint though and you may still need to get the head tube faced and headset pressed in.
  • i think i will have to leave it then if the xco1 frame is not ready to build
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    southbeds wrote:
    i think i will have to leave it then if the xco1 frame is not ready to build

Allterrain cycles (the sellers of the HandsomeDog bike parts) fitted the BB and headset into my XC01 frame for free. :D

Hope that helps.
  • yes , thank for that