hardtail for 500-800

Phil Butcher
Phil Butcher Posts: 12
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
:? Please help. I have been waiting for my cycle to work scheme to start and have missed the Carrera Fury for 529.. its now 700. Dilema. Is it now too expensive for the carrera kit it carries. What other choice of bikes do i have?

Like the idea of slacker head angle 120mm & thru axle as regularly take my current bike down a home-made downhill track.. (which has steep head angle and is Rigid yes rigid all round) ... so far most other bikes around this price (voodoo bokor, trek, "spesh") only offer 100mm and I think i could grow out of these quickly?..

mates bikes i have ridden with 120 or 140 travel front forks on the downhill and they said i fly down. maybe writing this message I have made up my mind already that the Carrera is for me... but then a Marin B17 in the sales ?.... :?
Boardman comp mtb: 75mm gravity stem, fsa 34t single chainring e-13 chain device & bashguard.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Which scheme is it ?? is it the one you can only use at Halfords ?? if so the Voodoo and Boardmans are on offer and are both well worth a look
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • yes my work goes through halfords hence the first port of call but with most bike shops offering 0% finance... voodoo has RaceFace finishing kit but would like wider bar so would look to upgrade those.

Forks on Voodoo are only 100mm but are decent RockShox.

Marin though has good forks and good components overall. Real pain...
    Boardman comp mtb: 75mm gravity stem, fsa 34t single chainring e-13 chain device & bashguard.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    To be honest, like you have said a bike on cyclescheme will be at full retail, so for £800 notes and on 0% you will get as good a deal on a 2010 bike on finance...have a look at all the usualm on-line suspects..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited November 2010
    A mate got a Bokor on the Cycle 2 Work scheme from Halfords. I think like most bikes from Halfords, money has been saved by buying a slightly out-of-date frame and equipping it with a very reasonable standard of components. Recons and 317s draw your eye from the impressively shiny but distinctly ordinary frame and the boring stuff - hubs, BB, headset, chain - are as basic as they could be. 2.1" Geax Barros tyres will never wear out but are hopeless off-road.

The actual ride is fairly harsh as most budget aluminium frames are, but it is nimble and efficient if you are 'on it' all the time.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Fury did still win the £750 bikes test in WMB a couple of months back but it's not such a steal at £700. It'll probably go back down though- most likely what you have here is them increasing the price for a while so that for christmas they can say "Discounted from £700".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I like that last thought. fingers crossed the C2W scheme will start u nearer to Christmas.

I think due to ther contributing factors the C2W scheme is my only option.

The Carrera can gradually have parts upgraded as i go. My Kona Scab has served me very well, taking lost of abuse and needing only a tlc service and wasn't an expensive bike in the first place. I accept £1000 + HT are likely to be better in several ways but budget retrainsts and my belief that I will be able to show up a few people on more exoctic bikes has given me a compramisable (?) decision... Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm off to buy a lotto ticket now for Saturday......
  • Hi there,

I had the same problem all summer so did a lot of research on hardcore trail bikes

Just adding the genisis core 40 and felt trail shot to your list

The trailshot is on wiggle with 40% off! Looks heavy though.

I settled for an orange crush 09 off ebay in the end for about £650, its awesome!
  • I had the same problem recently and settled for the Felt Trail Shot 2010 from wiggle at £599. It arrived today and I must say I'm impressed at the moment. Unfortunately I can't ride it yet as I fractured my wrist a few weeks ago. Off to hospital tomorrow to see if they'll take the cast off and see if I get the all clear to out on the bike.

I've been away from bikes for years, but it certainly doesn't seem a heavy bike to me from what I can remember. I can pick it up with one hand quite easily.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    The top price of a fury is £600,more than likely it will be on "sale" again at £529 within the next month,If you can wait that is.
  • Have a mate who has the voodoo bokor and think that it stands up well. Check out the reviews on bike radar.
    Although it is a little harsh this is always going to be the case and tyre choice (and pressure) and an eventual fork upgrade would help. I'd certainly consider it.

Haven't seeen many of the 2011 prices but you can get some great deals in the sale for 2010 and even 2009 stock. I'd always advocate hopping on a bike before buying so see your lbs (halfords can be crap for letting you test depending onthe sense of the manager/staff!)
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    piker wrote:
    The top price of a fury is £600,more than likely it will be on "sale" again at £529 within the next month,If you can wait that is.

What he said ^^^

HAlfords quite often run weekend 10% deals and suchliek...if you can wait! :roll:
  • thanks for all the feedback. My Scab didn't have gucci components, original or replacements, but all have lasted well.. so sub £1k bike should do for a few years.

I agree that £600 is the ceiling for the Fury... Leaning towars the slacker head angle and extra 20mm travel it offers over the Voodoo. Can't get finance yet

I guess i could ride the Fury till the forks die (and by then should have the dosh for some Revelations & new hub(or if v.shrewd with my cash a new £1k + bike, which may even be full sus.. the choices then ...).
  • Furys been reduced today...Now £599 and you can get 3% quidco cash back
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    piker wrote:

+1

I got my Fury a few months back for £529, it's a great bike. Just wait for the next "sale" and snap one up.

I have heard the 2011 model is getting released soon so prices may even drop below that if you are lucky. :)