Quick question about Vans sole design

thecremeegg
thecremeegg Posts: 284
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
I need some new shoes for my flat pedals and have settled on vans, seeing as they look good and supposedly grip well. However, I have since read that only the Vans with the waffle tread are any good, is this the case?

I really want http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vans-Turmoil-white-charcoal-VIPMWBD/dp/B002OL30KA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1QCH2CCJKI2IS&colid=2QAZ3AIMZLRPX but they dont have a waffle tread. Does this mean they'll be rubbish?

Cheers

Comments

• Also depends on your pedals. If you've got some nasty, shin cutting spikes then pretty much any pattern will work.
  • I have DMR V8s with metal pins, reckon they'll be ok?
  • Quality pedals there - make sure the pins are not worn (you can get spares) and any flat shoe eill be fine as it will deform under pressure and grip like a gooden.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Those have nasty shin cutting spikes - mine are permanently bloodstained.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I need some new shoes for my flat pedals and have settled on vans, seeing as they look good and supposedly grip well. However, I have since read that only the Vans with the waffle tread are any good, is this the case?

I really want http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vans-Turmoil-white-charcoal-VIPMWBD/dp/B002OL30KA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1QCH2CCJKI2IS&colid=2QAZ3AIMZLRPX but they dont have a waffle tread. Does this mean they'll be rubbish?

Cheers

stop and think about it a minute. think about the pins and how wide and tall they are. now think about the holes on the soles they are going to fit into. those shoes you linked to, the soles are a great match - i have the same sole on different vans and can vouch for them, they're a good gripping sole with good pins.

remember tho you could walk into any TkMaxx store and find a similar or same sole on a shoe for around 20 quid
  • I've found with most thicker soled Vans that they take a little time to bed in. They will be come more flexible with time and then start to grip better as your foot bends around the pedal more.

• remember tho you could walk into any TkMaxx store and find a similar or same sole on a shoe for around 20 quid

For a normal person maybe, but when you have massive feet like me, finding shoes in TK Maxx that you would want to wear is nigh on impossible :lol:

Thanks for the advice though guys, I'll be getting those shoes then :)
  • What size shoe are you?
  • avoid the "high street" Vans shoes

ideally you want Pro model Vans shoes from a proper bmx or skate shop - they are much tougher / harder wearing - especially the BMX shoes which are also stiffer in the sole so better for pedalling

you will not find these Vans in fashion stores selling Vans as Vans only sell the pro models to proper skate / bike shops

a great alternative I recommend (and prefer to Vans) is Orchid which are BMX specific flat pedal shoes

I use these for dirt jumping, and play riding, but for proper flat pedal off-road use (i.e. XC trails and freeride) its always my 5-10 Sam Hill shoes which are completely superior to any skate / bmx shoe in terms of pedalling efficiency, pedal grip, wet weather use and foot protection from impacts
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com

12-13
    avoid the "high street" Vans shoes

ideally you want Pro model Vans shoes from a proper bmx or skate shop - they are much tougher / harder wearing - especially the BMX shoes which are also stiffer in the sole so better for pedalling

you will not find these Vans in fashion stores selling Vans as Vans only sell the pro models to proper skate / bike shops

a great alternative I recommend (and prefer to Vans) is Orchid which are BMX specific flat pedal shoes

I use these for dirt jumping, and play riding, but for proper flat pedal off-road use (i.e. XC trails and freeride) its always my 5-10 Sam Hill shoes which are completely superior to any skate / bmx shoe in terms of pedalling efficiency, pedal grip, wet weather use and foot protection from impacts

Got a link to what a "pro" shoe is?
  • avoid the "high street" Vans shoes

they work absolutely fine. especially if you're not a fashion victim. i've had two pairs and have had good life out of them and i go out riding nearly every day

maybe, but there's nowt wrong with the soles on the others provided you haven't got massively weakened arches, so still not worth the extra for something that gets shitted up to the eyeballs couple of times a week

12-13

Annoyingly, I find more 12's and 13's in my local TK Maxx than I do in 11.
    Got a link to what a "pro" shoe is?

A "Pro" shoe is skater/bmx'ers signature shoe. Something like these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vans-Bucky-Skat ... 74&sr=1-19

Honestly speaking though, the skate shoes if they're Pro models or not will serve you just fine