New BB or crankset

thewaiter
thewaiter Posts: 110
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
fonts of all knowledge,

my BB is on the way out on my Marin Rocky Ridge 2009.... I was thinking of buying a Hope ceramic as a replacement, but for not too much more money i could get a new crankset like a Shimano SLX for instance.....

what would you guys do ?

Kevin

Comments

• Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    what is on there now?

are your rings worn or damaged and need replacing anyway?
  • If you're currently not HTII then the SLX is a no brainer really - usually come with BB too.

Might need thed BB shell facing.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    If you're currently not HTII then the SLX is a no brainer really - usually come with BB too.

Might need thed BB shell facing.

+1
  • i'm pretty sure the Rocky Ridge 2009 has the same crankset as the 2010 so TruVativ Firex 3.1, 44/32/22 with Alloy Outer Chainring and Giga X Pipe External BB System

BB is crunchy and I was advised from the last service at the LBS it would need changing
  • thewaiter wrote:
    i'm pretty sure the Rocky Ridge 2009 has the same crankset as the 2010 so TruVativ Firex 3.1, 44/32/22 with Alloy Outer Chainring and Giga X Pipe External BB System

BB is crunchy and I was advised from the last service at the LBS it would need changing

It's your bike - read what it says!

SRAM use a different size axel so if going Shimano you need the BB to match too.

A new SRAM BB is about £20 and will just screw in.
  • Andy!
    people do make it hard work to help them!

If the rest of the crank set it fine - ie no damage or wear etc then cheapest option is a compatible BB. Just don't go silly on price or buy a crappy one.

If your rings are a bit worse for wear anyway then you may as well kill 2 birds with one stone as it works out much better value to get a whole set as they come with the BB.
  • the rings are slightly buggered due to my incompetence when I cleaned the BB in the summer :oops: ....
  • Andy!
    how do you bugger chainrings when cleaning a BB?
  • smacking the cranks out with a lump hammer?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited September 2010
    Truvativ chaionsets are utter wang. Complete and total wang, in fact.
    Get the SLX, or the XT if you can find it for a reasonable sum of money.

And, one more thing. If you buggered up your chainrings when cleaning(eh!?!) a BB, then for god's sake get a responsible adult, or failing that, a local bike shop to fit them for you.

Why would you clean a BB? :shock:
  • I clean my BB quite often - well when I say clean, remove cranks (by hitting them with a sledge hammer :wink: ) and wipe the outer of the bearing and the crank contact points....

Way I see it, the cleaner it is there the less chance of it finding its way into the actual bearing.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm. See, with HTII cranksets, thhe flush fitting of the cranks against the BB means that you will only get dirt in there when the cranks are not in situ.
    Of course some will migrate there over time. Mostly only water though.
    Wiping can often push dirt into places where it shouldn't be.
  • Truvativ chaionsets are utter wang. Complete and total wang, in fact.
    Get the SLX, or the XT if you can find it for a reasonable sum of money.

And, one more thing. If you buggered up your chainrings when cleaning(eh!?!) a BB, then for god's sake get a responsible adult, or failing that, a local bike shop to fit them for you.

Why would you clean a BB? :shock:

heheheh...... no not the chainrings.....
  • Anonymous
    thewaiter wrote:
    the rings are slightly buggered due to my incompetence when I cleaned the BB in the summer :oops: ....
    You said it. I don't follow at all. Now you're saying that you did NOt bend the chainrings?
  • for a full upgrade, the SLX option gets a +1 from me. If the rings and BB are showing a beating, then may as well go new.
  • confusing myself ( and everone else ) not the chain ring, i was trying to take off the BB for a clean without using the extractor tool first :oops: :oops: .......
  • Andy!
    Lets have a vote...

my choice would be: take it to your LBS and get them to fit a nice nice SLX crankset.
  • Anonymous
    thewaiter wrote:
    confusing myself ( and everone else ) not the chain ring, i was trying to take off the BB for a clean without using the extractor tool first :oops: :oops: .......
    you're still confusing me. What exactly did you bend, and what were you tring to clean?