Maintainence Schedule?

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited October 2010 in The workshop
How often, and what sort of preventive maintenece should I be looking at doing on my commuter? I oil the chain every two weeks or so and scrub it when it gets cruddy (usually every second or third oil), but I'm not sure when or if I should be doing other things like repacking the hubs or I don't even know what.

The bike itself is a bottom-of-the-line MTB with mainly Tourney-level components and a rigid fork. My daily commute is only a few miles each way, with longer rides once a week or so. I ride in pretty much all weathers, though I doubt the Australian winter is as wet as its UK cousin!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I give the bike a once over every week, spin the wheels and check for play at the rim, lube (not oil - yuk) the chain and so on, other than that its wheels off every 6 months for a better look, if the bearings feel OK I leave well alone!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    In addition to the chain, you could get a can of GT85 or similar and spray on anything that needs to move (front and rear mechs, gear and brake levers, etc.)
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    I Commute using a singlespeed so my schedule involves cleanign the bike twice a year. When i say cleanign the bike down twice a year i mean giving the whole thing a strip down and re grease and refit. However as with every bike you ride keeping the drive chain clean and in fully working order is a good call. After every wet ride wipe down the chain give a spray of GT85 or any other water displacer and re lube/oil depending on the lube you use. I personally rarely lube my chain as it is a singlespeed very little maintenance is required. I dont bother cleaning it due to the British winters being a little harsh to keep cleaning after every ride like i do with my mountain bike. Simply a re lube after every wet ride and i dont bother cleaning the bike frame till i know the road grit and salt has been washed away.

Every weekend i do check the wheels for wobble or play and check my chain tension. That would be a good time to check ones gears. Every weekend is a good time and if you hear anything during the week note it down check it out once you get home that day or leave it till the weekend depending on how serious it sounds. Mud guards save you a ton of time in cleaning the frame as well. They might look stupid but they're worth the buck if you get a decent set of mud guards.