Tourmalet area transfers

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited October 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi forum goers :)

Do any of you know of a transfer / taxi service that would take me & my son, plus bikes to a hotel in the Tourmalet area from Toulouse (which I take it is the closest) airport ?

Many TIA
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• Pau airport is actuially closer- 80km to the Western foot of Tourmalet, while Toulouse is 155km to the Eastern foot. A commercial airport taxi from Toulouse would probably run to 250+ euros if the driver just ran the meter, but they'll usually negotiate a set price at the outset. You might get there from Pau for 100 euros if you're a good haggler.
    Otherwise, if your arrival coincides with their scheduled airport pick-ups, the local cycling holiday firms - Pyractif, Velopeloton, Velopyrenees etc - might help.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • You might want to look at TourSud http://www.toursud.com/services/en

It might not be any cheaper than a taxi (in fact it might be more), but it might be worth checking to see if you can negotiate a better price.

And I agree with Garrigou. Pau is a lot closer to the Tourmalet.

Good luck!
    Jace

www.insitutravel.com
    Challenging Cycling Tours
  • Lourdes airport is closest. Fly with bmibaby.com from Manchester, flight run from April until October.
  • or get the train from Toulouse to Lourdes...
  • [/quote]cookiemonster
    Posted 29 Sep 2010 14:08
    or get the train from Toulouse to Lourdes...

The shuttle bus from Toulouse airport will take you to with in a 5 minute walk of train station. If staying in Lourdes its a lovely warm up, along river cycle path to Tourmalet
    Peter
  • Ryanair now fly into lourdes hertz do quite cheep hire cars and if you phone the lourdes desk they are supper helpfull. Andy
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk