Summer bike to Winter bike

red dragon
red dragon Posts: 263
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone made the changeover from Summer bike to Winter bike yet? Or do you do it gradually to reduce withdrawl symptoms.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use one bike for training all year round / winter and one just for racing/very nice days...
  • I try to have one for when there is salt on the roads, and this has mudguardsw on it.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I ride my 'winter' bike whenever the roads are wet or the weather is sh1t - which could be any day of any week in any month of the year....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I've got a few things to sort out on my winter bike and then I'll be riding that until March. Quite excited as I've never had a winter bike before :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    I've got a few things to sort out on my winter bike and then I'll be riding that until March. Quite excited as I've never had a winter bike before :lol:

+1 Although I think I'll still take the good bike out for a few rides on the nice crisp and dry days over the winter.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Any time it's raining&when the roads stop drying out.So from Nov-march it's the winter bike all the time.It does make you appreciate your No.1 bike more in spring after 4 months of boneshaking.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    softlad wrote:
    I ride my 'winter' bike whenever the roads are wet or the weather is sh1t - which could be any day of any week in any month of the year....
    +1.

And the best bike will be out on dry winter days too.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    First year I've actually had a winter bike - but now that I'm on it - going to stick with it. Keep my racing bike until racing season and prolong it's life as much as possible - even though I'd rather be riding it!
  • Nice to get an idea what`s going on, as the dry winter days are few and far between I will probably put Summer bike away until next year. Thanks to all who responded.
  • looks like i've slipped up, i'm on the autumn bike.

keeping the winter bike until, erm winter
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I only have one bike.
  • me too.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Summer bike is hanging off the kitchen wall, though it might get some use when Winter bike needs a rest :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Back on the Sabbath, and the Wilier is not coming out unless it is crisp and dry...

The Sabbath is my winter bike, but it is easily a summer bike too... I like the fact that it is just bombproof and cleans so easily, being naked metal.

My hard decision is what bike to fly with to Majorca next April: it has to be the Wilier, but the Ti would make me sleep more easily on the journey!
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    +1.

+1

Rode the winter bike yesterday.
  • alp777 wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    +1.

+1

Rode the winter bike yesterday.

+1 more, although I tend to class them as 'wet' and 'dry' bikes.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • freehub wrote:
    I only have one bike.

I only have summer :)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    DubaiNeil wrote:

I only have summer :)

damn - I think Neil wins..... ;)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Once the gritters come out to play, my Colnago gets stripped, a final clean & tucked away for the winter.

No specific date, just weather & council dependent.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm using my mountain bike as a winter bike this year, just going to put my spd pedals on it and get some semi slicks and long mudguards. Should be nice and strong for next year. :wink:
  • I only have one road bike which I use all year round.
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I only have a winter bike. At least the reviews said the TDF was a good winter bike. One day I dream of owning a summer bike :)

Although I may use the hybrid towpath riding with Mrs Hrun bike when it is pants as it has mudguards ;)
    A biking runner :)
  • must admit always had a winter bike and summer toy , must be lucky , only problem just the odd question now and again from the sturmbanfuhrer , why do you need two bikes ? :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dmclite wrote:
    I'm using my mountain bike as a winter bike this year, just going to put my spd pedals on it and get some semi slicks and long mudguards. Should be nice and strong for next year. :wink:

That's what I did last year.
    works a treat and while you can keep a decent speed there is no doubt it is harder.
    Better training then :D
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    dmclite wrote:
    You sick pervert :shock: