Portsmouth to Dundee 2011 - advice?

stevee_p
stevee_p Posts: 37
edited October 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, I find it hard to categorise my question, so i've posted in the Training forum too.

So here goes...A colleague and I are arranging a Charity Cycle ride next year to ride from Portsmouth to Dundee (where our company office are located). We are both keen cyclists (though I would say we probably fall into the amateur bracket still).

First question is, how would you experienced touring cyclists pick your route? We are planning to cover roughly between 80 - 100 miles per day (broken into a morning and afternoon session for 6 days). Additionally, we hope to stay in the same chain of hotels each night eg Premier Inn, as our company has a business account with them. So far we have simply looked at Google Maps, typed in our start address, and end destination, selected 'walking' and then looked at the route it gives us.

Secondly, if this were you doing this route, how would you train for back to back days? I have no doubt we won't be fit enough by the time the ride comes around, but its one thing practising for 100 miles a day, but its difficult to replicate doing back to back riding without simply doing a practice run. I am confident we can train up to 100 miles per day without too much drama, as we can both currently ride 60-70 without too much training.

Thirdly, and I guess this goes hand in hand with the training, but what sort of diet would you advise I start having, both before and during the trip? I've never watched what I eat as luckily I'm tall and slim. However, I want to make the most of the next 12 months, and change my eating habits. Can anyone recommend any good books / reading on diets for cyclists etc?

We're both really excited about the event, and it will be the furthest we've cycled. Our company should be giving us plenty of support, and we think we'll be getting a support driver in a van to carry our spare clothes & equipment etc.

Any thoughts, or any additional reading you could point me towards would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• priory
    priory Posts: 743
    you sound plenty fit enough. keep the speed down and enjoy the miles.
    I say do not have a back up van. You don't need it and the drivers are all going nuts by the time they get to inverness from what I have seen of them up there. And I think I would feel a bit pathetic being followed about by a van.
    If you can get one to drive you to and from the start and finish that might be a boon, but there are men with ven anywhere, and in the highlands some of them advertise that sevice specifically. It is tempting as you cycle past the adverts on lampposts and telephone boxes on the north coast with sleet in your face.
    Terry J
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    You don't need it and the drivers are all going nuts by the time they get to inverness

On a cycle route from Pompey to Dundee, I'm not surprised. Wrong turn at Perth perhaps?

A van to carry clothes, tools, etc might be suitable for you. If it sets your mind at ease, go for it.
  • priory
    Ok , so they remain sane but a bit bored through edinburgh.
    How much stuff are you going to carry for a week in travelodges? an allen key and a spare tube and a toothbrush. You don't even need spare shorts since you can rinse them and hang them up overnight. Damp in the morning doesn't matter.
    I have loads of trips with just a rackpack and that held trousers and a shirt for the pub and space for food, camera, etc . Actually I prefer a throw-over pannier so there is lots of room for clothes and cakes but it need not weigh much at all.A pair of very light trainers gives your feet a treat each evening.

Since no-one else has I will say how I do a route. 1/200.000 road atlas, cheap but preferably one of those with some contours, highlighter pens, straight line on the uk map, try to stay near it on nice little country roads with some visits to large villages or small towns for shops and cafes.
    I take the straaight line distance and times by 1.5 to get actual riding distance as an approximation. Expect 12mph and you might be pleased to do better.
    check out the geography on bikely or the new opencyclemap or whatever it is called which give profiles.
    trouble with google walking routes is it will have you going up the a roads which is efficient but unpleasant.
    i fyou want to spend loads of time programming a gps do so, but make a plan for what to do when it packs up, I think they are a pain in the neck. in bright light it is hard to see.

food involves a lot of carbs, but on a long slow trip you should eat fairly normal food. just carbs gives you colic and wind. bananas and muesli, bacon baps, steak and chips, chicken chow mein egg sandwiches milkshakes. Real ale and whisky in the evening only and not too much.
    I carry 300g nice muesli for emergencies.
    do not pack too much. you can wear all your clothes and space blanket and stop at a yeomans or charity shop if necessary.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

• priory
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/277664/#quietest

here is that cycle route planner. you have to do it in 100mile bits, but it gives you a proflie and 3 routes each time