The silly but painful commuting injuries thread

2»

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    hit a pot hole in the road years ago when riding a mtb (dmr v12 pedals) when the front wheel bounced off the hole my foot slipped off the pedal grating my shin against the pedal

it left me with a 3" slice along my shin down to the bone

hospital said they wouldn't stitch it though

it made a lovely scar though

that will teach me....riding a mtb on the road huh!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • flimflam_machine
    flimflam_machine Posts: 263
    edited March 2012
    Just had fettling injury

Gouged thumb on chain ring while using an allen key to remove pedals.

May need stitches.

I've decided to name this injury Fuckwit's Thumb

Good advice: always pull spanners/allen keys rather than pushing. That way when the bolt/nut gives or the tool jumps off it you don't end up smashing your thumb/knuckles into something. Also, shift the chain onto the big ring before removing or fitting pedals or cranks. I was given this advice fairly recently after many incidents of Fuckwit's Thumb/Numbskulls Knuckle.

I've not had a bike injury for years although as a nipper I broke my nose and my wrist when I snapped a brake cable. I've just discovered, however, that I've been commuting for about the last 6 weeks with a broken shoulder. Double SCR points?
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    I've not had a bike injury for years although as a nipper I broke my nose and my wrist when I snapped a brake cable. I've just discovered, however, that I've been commuting for about the last 6 weeks with a broken shoulder. Double SCR points?

Half IQ points, I would have thought. :mrgreen:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Car in front of me had to do an emergency stop thanks to some idiots on bikes moving from the gutter across his path to go up the bike and bus lane only road upto tower bridge, wasn't going fast but still ending up hitting my sternum off his rear window, cue 8 weeks off the bike as it was too painful to put my arm out to reach for things let alone ride the thing. I leave sooo much more space now.
  • Mr Sharky wrote:

Half IQ points, I would have thought. :mrgreen:

You sound like my wife!
  • Had one a few days ago that was nearly VERY painful. On the cycle path along the coast there is a narrow bridge over the water alongside a railway line. There's less than 1ft spare room either side of the bars so it's pretty tight - and a frickin train passed as I was crossing and the cross draught sent me into the side railing of the bridge.

The handlebar clipped the railing and the forward momentum caused the wheel to turn almost 90 degrees and the bar end to hit me quite hard on the top of my leg - same height as some more delicate parts ... force was hard enough to knock out the end-cap, crack the clip that the end-cap clips into and rip off the metal retailing band.

I now dismount and walk over said bridge :wink:
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Just back from a club ride... did a Cancellara :lol: ; got the line wrong into a corner, lost the front wheel on a wet manhole cover....

Scraped the RH brifters, bruised shoulder, tore my works team jersey and this:
    7667987006_ef02ce7e3a_z.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Bee/wasp in the face:

7633182840_5a52c75271_z.jpg

Shoulder still recovering from a fracture, now taped up like an olympian:

7690393650_c70a26b0f4_z.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have been having a bit of an on/off race with an SS rider; occasionally we see each other and it is on....

Anyway, we both have to stop at a set of lights, I am track standing to the left, my nemesis is to my right. I am about 200 yards from home, so, I just think 'give it everything, no prisoners'....anyway, I make sure that I am not on my chocolate foot for a proper harsh lead out. Grip the drops and ready myself to pull the bars and drop the cranks......

Lights: Red, Red/Amber - Go go go go......

My back pulls immediately and I wind up in a heap on the pavement in the foetal position in immense pain - :-(

Bugger, 4 weeks of physio to sort it out.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bruised cartilage in my knee and fluid around the joint after being run over. :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    As per my thread the other day, back wheel slipped into an expansion joint on New Cross Road and lowsided me :(

ow1.jpg

ow2.jpg

:(

Bike OK :)
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Just got back from the plastic surgery ward with 13 stitches in my calf
    All done at about 3 miles an hour. Was pulling over to put my waterproof on, skidded and managed to slam my calf down the non spd side of the pedals on my commuter. The side with the teeth...
    Too big and deep to be stitched at A&E on Monday night, not big enough for a skin graft on Tuesday, so was in today.
    Stitches out in 2 weeks, but 4-6 weeks for a full recovery.
    I think the Blenheim 100 on the 19th is looking dodgy at the mo.
    I'm going to be buying double sided spd pedals!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Broken another rib on the MTB - that makes three in 4 years. Running out of ribs
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Does severely twanging a nut against the side of a Brooks Swift and walking like John Wayne for a week last year rank amongst these tales of death and dismemberment?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    8183462612_d7c1a3af6a_c.jpg

No idea what I smacked that off as I went down on a greasy mini roundabout earlier this evening.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    So after a day in the office I invite a friend back to mine for drinks. I'm on the trusty BMX and he opts to get a cab rather than walk the mile to my house, FFS. So I decide to race the cab. I make it to about half way and the cab is about to overtake me. the road is narrow, so I decide to get out of its way and ride up a dipped curb. I'm going at full speed and the curb has a nice kick to it so I decide to boost a massive bunny hop. Jump goes well, really fast and high, until I land. When the front wheel meets the ground it does so on a previously unseen patch of slippery water which makes it skid out and veer to the right, straight into a lamp post. The front wheel and bars are pointing at 90 degrees right when they lock in with the lamp post, stopping dead. I, however, keep going. But only for a foot or two, when I am stopped by the metal bar end scraping up my inside leg, entering my testicular cavity and lower torso.

I feint and wake up a minute later on the floor screaming in pain. Lots of people are watching, nobody comes to help. After a few seconds I MTFU and hobble up the road, using my bike like a zimmer frame until I'm at the top of the hill, and then freewheel home. I fall off the bike outside my house and feint again. My friend wakes me up, I give him keys, he lets himself in and I go into shock.

Eventually the ambulance comes, gas and air has no effect. I go to A&E and wait for hours. Eventually get seen by a doc (about 8 hours after the accident) who says "Fark me, you narrowly missed two major arteries. You should've been seen as a priority case, you almost died".

I couldn't walk for a week, bruise lasted a couple of months and engulfed half of one leg.

Had first child this year, so it didn't break me that badly :-)

I also broke my collar bone going over the handlebars 12 feet in the air on a mountain bike. But that didn't hurt, walked around for a week before I noticed something was up.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    BMX...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?