Cragg Quarry what do I need to know?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited October 2010 in Routes
Hi planning a trip to Cragg Quarry this saturday and have a few questions;

Is it suitable for hardtails?
How long does it take to get round?
Is there a 'skills track'?
Does it take long to get to Lee Quarry (cycling or car)?
What are the best places to park?
Most importantly is it fun??

Hope you guys can give me a few tips
Thanks

Comments

• Is it suitable for hardtails?

Very much so. I am pretty much a beginner but had a good couple of hours on my h/t without any problems.

How long does it take to get round?

It takes about 30-40 mins a lap but is worth 2 or 3 laps to get the flow

Is there a 'skills track'?

You could actually see it as one big skills track in a way, but there isn't a skills area as such like the one at Lee Quarry.

What are the best places to park?

Some park at the Buck pub at the bottom of Cowpe Rd. I headed up Cowpe Rd to Rooley Moor Rd and parked just below the row of houses about 1/2 mile up. This leaves about a 1.5 mile climb up a technical stoney trail, turn right onto the penine bridleway and then CQ is about 1/2 mile down.

Most importantly is it fun??

I loved it. Loads of berms and flowing track. Probably a bit easier to navigate than Lee Quarry. I haven't looped between the two but others have. It is still a bit 'earthy' I believe until the official connecting trail is opened in the next couple of months. Do a search on this forum to get some info on following the connecting trail.

I was up there in the evening at dusk and it was pretty much deserted apart from me and it can get cold and exposed so have some good layers and don't forget that getting back down to where you have parked is a good challenge as well, particularly if it is getting dark and you don't have lights to hand.
  • Lots of rocks so spare tubes especially if on a hardtail. Of course it may be just me who is king of the pinch flat. Look for the markers and sprayed arrows I've come across a few people who aren't sure of the route round but basically figure 8 - clockwise on bottom (small ) loop and anti-clock on the top (bigger) loop.

Also watch out for a few old crosser tracks before the small loop its not part of it. You get to the start along the bridleway, to your right you can look down to the reservoirs, as it bends to the left, between raised areas either side, you see the end of the bottom loop, start is just a few yards on your right. The bigger loop starts just after you cross back on to the bridleway.
  • Might be worth checking out the What Mountain Bike review, think it was in last months mag, it reviews both Lee and Cragg and has plotted the route around the two. I tend to access cragg via the Coal road off Edenfield road between Edenfield and Norden, as it's riding distance for me from my house. Cragg is fine for a Hardtail, my Mrs copes on hers and touch wood no pinch flats as of yet! Worth a trip if you local but if your not I would advise you to link the two quarries to ensure you get a decent workout....
  • Travelling between the 2 isnt "officially" open yet, but if you do decide to do it take care. The Helicopter has been up there this week moving stone etc onto the joining trail so there may be people about working this weekend.
  • aguesty1 wrote:
    Might be worth checking out the What Mountain Bike review, think it was in last months mag, it reviews both Lee and Cragg and has plotted the route around the two. I tend to access cragg via the Coal road off Edenfield road between Edenfield and Norden, as it's riding distance for me from my house. Cragg is fine for a Hardtail, my Mrs copes on hers and touch wood no pinch flats as of yet! Worth a trip if you local but if your not I would advise you to link the two quarries to ensure you get a decent workout....
    Was thinking of trying the Coal road , do you pick up the wind farm access roads from there then hop across the moor or pick the bridleway via the reservoir? I went up from Edenfield on Sunday via gin croft, cheeky path then pick up the bridleway.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Thanks for all you help, unfortunatley I am no longer going as I have bought a motorbike off ebay :roll:

Fortunately t
    he place I am collecting it from is right next to Coed Llandegla, so going there instead :lol:

I will be going Cragg/Lee quarry soon tho, so thanks for the info, and I may put it off till the link is 'official'
  • Here's a vid to give you an idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eM1_MgMJgI
  • aguesty1 wrote:
    Might be worth checking out the What Mountain Bike review, think it was in last months mag, it reviews both Lee and Cragg and has plotted the route around the two. I tend to access cragg via the Coal road off Edenfield road between Edenfield and Norden, as it's riding distance for me from my house. Cragg is fine for a Hardtail, my Mrs copes on hers and touch wood no pinch flats as of yet! Worth a trip if you local but if your not I would advise you to link the two quarries to ensure you get a decent workout....
    Was thinking of trying the Coal road , do you pick up the wind farm access roads from there then hop across the moor or pick the bridleway via the reservoir? I went up from Edenfield on Sunday via gin croft, cheeky path then pick up the bridleway.

Head up the coal roadthen when you get to the top you cross over the windfarm access road then bear left, follow your nose on the path and there is a res to the left of you carry on aong that then pick up the bridleway. We ride that way up from Rammy then down the concrete road and through plunge of gincroft lane. Take it your local BlueAdvocate??
  • aguesty1 wrote:
    aguesty1 wrote:

Head up the coal roadthen when you get to the top you cross over the windfarm access road then bear left, follow your nose on the path and there is a res to the left of you carry on aong that then pick up the bridleway. We ride that way up from Rammy then down the concrete road and through plunge of gincroft lane. Take it your local BlueAdvocate??

Yes, live in Norden but I don't climb up from there as I would end up on life support.
    I tend to descend via Rooley Moor and Woodhouse lane which is a fast rattle your pivots world of rocks and cobbles. Although I'm looking to see if I can find another route if I drop off to Edenfield from the Wind Farm (via cheeky path). There is a bridleway signposted along on the there that should run down to Mill Croft brook but its not clear how much is bridleway or path.
  • aguesty1 wrote:
    aguesty1 wrote:

Yes, live in Norden but I don't climb up from there as I would end up on life support.
    I tend to descend via Rooley Moor and Woodhouse lane which is a fast rattle your pivots world of rocks and cobbles. Although I'm looking to see if I can find another route if I drop off to Edenfield from the Wind Farm (via cheeky path). There is a bridleway signposted along on the there that should run down to Mill Croft brook but its not clear how much is bridleway or path.

Yep know Woodhouse lane very well as I grew up in Norden and it aint a great ride up to the windfarm from there :oops:
  • I've only done Cragg once but my ride is from Heywood.
    I tend to go up via woodhouse lane and just past the Old Moorcock Inn ruins, I turn off onto Ding Quarry and make my way up onto the turbine roads, then I head to the right of Knowl hill following all other turbine signs. there is a great little downhill on grass all the way to Edenfield road. You come out at the ice cream van.
    I know it's not Cragg but it's a fun descent.
    I hope this helps.
    Mal.