MTB snobbery / fashion

13»

Comments

• pastey_boy wrote:
    Nah it's my point of view,

No one can argue with the fact you never know how you ride until you've ridden for a while so blasting your cash instantly before you even know what you may want is a bit foolish.

Otherwise I'm a ride what you like. Everything has it's ups and downs, and everyone has there budget.
    but some people may spend £4k on a bike, that does not mean they have blown their money as they have purchased within their means. my mate spent over £4k on his first ever road bike but if he didnt like it ,it would not have mattered as he could easily afford it. by your reasoning your suggesting every mtb,er should start off on a hardtail for economic reasons although you can buy full sussers for the same price. does not make sense :?

Exactly, people spend according to how much free spends they have. If i could easily afford £2k on my first bike is that more stupid than a 18 year old scrimping and saving for the £300 to get a half decent bike that can take a certain amount of abuse? The relative cost to them is significntly higher but you wouldn't be telling then "no, don't spend all your spare cash on a bike, try this cheaper one"
  • hyperman wrote:
    Nah it's my point of view,

No one can argue with the fact you never know how you ride until you've ridden for a while so blasting your cash instantly before you even know what you may want is a bit foolish.

Otherwise I'm a ride what you like. Everything has it's ups and downs, and everyone has there budget.

I took this start off on a hardtail advise, bought one for £1k, sold it 2 months later because I didn't like it and bought a full suss, which I love....when I sold the hardtail I lost £400 on it, so basically your advise cost me £400....so I think you should give me it back, cheque will do.... :D

you misunderstood the advice then, the advice is to spend £200-ish on a decent budget hardtail and use it and work from there. It's excellent advice for anyone wanting a starting point. it's your own fault for losing £400. I paid £195 for a Giant Boulder Trail (admittedly when bikes were cracking value) and sold it for £100, used it , abused it and learnt what i liked and what i didn't, most importantly learnt what geometry i needed, followed by bike mechanic-ing and subsequently built a tailor made bike and the bike i'm more than happy with
  • mmm, lot of feeling about this, I was unclear on my own question when I tried to write it. Sort of turned into a hardtail/full suss debate again.

One thing I will say though, one of the guys I have ridden with, whose riding I really respect because of what he can do on pretty much any bike, told me he was thinking of putting his full suss away for a while because it was making him lazy and his technique was getting sloppy. I don't know how much of that is brevado and how much is true, but I wish I could do what he can on a bike.
  • ...and if I had the money, I'd be riding £6.5k of Trek Remedy 9.9, no matter how bad my skills are.
  • @BoyLard - round our way there is a real sense of pride in riding a 'bargain'. Be that a bike, merion tops, aldi overshoes etc. We appreciate riding bikes. ~Gear and money are irrelevant. Ride a bit. Then some more. And more. When your £295 whatsit passes some mincer on a WMB hitlisted hot machine just make sure someone is there with a camera to capture the grin on your face :)

Anti snobbery is where it's at!
  • This is a very interesting debate for a newbie.

I returned to mountain biking about a year ago, on a really old cheap Giant with V brakes and blasted around Dalby red, fell off, gashed my knee and got laughed at by a girl in the visitors centre. (looking back now, probably because of my bloody knee, "crap bike", white t shirt and school bag!) I thought nothing of it as I couldn't care less what people think of me.

After that moment I have up graded the bike (only to a £400 hardtail). One thing I did notice when out on the trails. Some peoples eyes drop after intial contact and acess what your sat on! Reminds me of some girls eyeing up a blokes package in a nightclub! Very strange.

Next time your'e out see if you can spot the co*k watchers! Or are you one of them!? :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Haha, I do that! (Bikes, not c0cks!)

But I like bikes, I'm not judging people, just looking at the bikes. Like if you were an art lover, and someone had a painting on the wall, you'd look at it. Doesn't mean you're judging, just looking at something that you've got an interest in.

Like the c0ck watchers! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    like trying to figure out why i bought formula the one disc brakes instead of the hope blingy disc brakes. i need to stop being so self conscious :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    bails87 wrote:
    Haha, I do that! (Bikes, not c0cks!)

But I like bikes, I'm not judging people, just looking at the bikes. Like if you were an art lover, and someone had a painting on the wall, you'd look at it. Doesn't mean you're judging, just looking at something that you've got an interest in.

Like the c0ck watchers! :lol:

Ha ha, I do this too (definitely bikes and not the other :shock: ) but then again I am a bike tart :wink:

I like seeing what kit people have on their bikes (usually followed by me wondering whether I should have it / is it better than mine!) :D I have actually had to stop myself from asking people about their bikes before - fortunately I haven't, as I suspect that it would probably look like a very bad chat-up line even though I am extremely happy with my other half who I always MTB with!!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    LjStronge wrote:
    3K Full Suss with Super Skills - Gets my respect
    £200 Hard Tail - Gets My Respect
    3K Full Suss - Just Learning - Gets My Respect
    £200 HArd Tail Just Learning - Gets My Respect

Simple

If your out on the trail, because you want to be there and enjoy yourself, I couldn't give a monkeys what you are riding, as long as you nod your head when I say hello, that's all I care about.

buy that man a drink for speaking sense 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think the whole market has gone up it's own arse anyway. Time was everyone had a hard tail, they weren't as expensive as a small car, and mountain biking was just mountain biking. Did it stop people riding? No.

Don't really care what anyone else is riding though. I love the bike I've got. It has it's own charms. It's cheap but solid (very, like a tank) and well speced for the money and goes where I want it to go. I don't despise anyone for spending money though. I can afford the expensive stuff, but I choose to hone my skills first as I believe it's more about skills than the bike you ride. It's my choice though. Buy whatever you like and works for you and just ride it. Though I'd say the bike fits the terrain, not the rider.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    pastey_boy wrote:
    if hardtails didnt exist then people would hone their skills on full sus and get just as good.
    Exactly. And if we extend the logic around learning on a HT, why not learn on a fully rigid? In fact I'd argue that proper control of the front end through correct movement of your shoulders, elbows and wrists is actually more important and that suss forks encourage sloppy technique in this regard.

In contrast, all riding full suss has taught me is that I can sit down from time to time where I probably shouldn't - thing is I don't care, it rests the old legs!

It's all nonsense. You get better by riding, regardless.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    pastey_boy wrote:
    took a girl once, and she hated it as she was banged about and hurt her ar5e, she never came again
    i know EXACTLY what you mean.

That's the funniest thing I have read for ages haha!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 'ride HT' first, or use to train argument: as with many things MTB, it is down to the rider. Some benefit, some don't. It is not one or the other. I know for a fact Peaty and Hans Rey like to go out riding HTs or rigid to hone skills.
  • I have a cheapo £250 mtb.. I pedal up the road and down the bridelway. I enjoy myself and thats what matters to me.
    My girlfriend recently said to the bike salesman "I don't care about gears and stuff, do you have it in black and silver" . The look on his face was a picture.
    Just buy and ride what you like.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    "Some peoples eyes drop after intial contact and acess what your sat on"

I have to admit, i do this; it's not snobbery (although i could understand why it would be taken this way) i just like bikes and i apreciate a nice looking bike. And a ncie looking bike doesn't have to cost a fortune; there are some very nice budget machines, and likewise some 4k rides that could trick or treat down the phone...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    d87heaven wrote:
    I have a cheapo £250 mtb.. I pedal up the road and down the bridelway. I enjoy myself and thats what matters to me.
    My girlfriend recently said to the bike salesman "I don't care about gears and stuff, do you have it in black and silver" . The look on his face was a picture.
    Just buy and ride what you like.

My other half thought that until she actually started to ride properly off road then realised that having any old thing just because it looks pretty usually isn't very comfy and enjoyable to ride.
  • Briggo wrote:

My other half thought that until she actually started to ride properly off road then realised that having any old thing just because it looks pretty usually isn't very comfy and enjoyable to ride.

My girlfriend can ride 'properly' and still doesn't care what bike it is as long as she likes it.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • I've just bought my missus the £299 Focus from Wiggle and she is already thinking about removing the seat and putting some horrible heavy gel type offender on it!!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    d87heaven wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

My girlfriend can ride 'properly' and still doesn't care what bike it is as long as she likes it.

She obviously likes it rough.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    I love this debate, it pops up at least once a month on here!!!

My first bike was a Hardrock, I got it because I didnt know much about bikes, I had £200 to spend and my mate had one. I had loads of fun on that bike but as my skills developed it started to hold me back so I got something a little better and so on.

As others have mentioned that original £200 was as much a hardship as the £2000 I spent on my last bike because I earn more money now.

I like to see what other people are riding, it helps me choose new stuff and its interesting. The "Oh is that the new..........?" question pops up regularly when i'm out.

You could never judge a persons skill or experience by what bike they happen to be riding, it might not even be thier bike they could of borrowed it!

As for the thrill of overtaking or somehow owning someone on an expensive bike that really is quite childish and passes as experience builds, that "3k bike owning pillock" could have a hangover and would pull your pants down on any other day, maybe hes got an injury or, heaven forbid, just dosn't feel like thrashing himself that day.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    i have a scott aspect 2008,ive replaced the forks for tora 302's as the dart 2 forks gave in on me,replaced tyres as after 2 years they no longer had much tread on them,new rear cassette nothing flash tho and new chain,again nothing flash...i like the way the bike rides and feels,still take out my cannondale f600 hardtail which enjoyed its 10 year birthday last year now and again,if i was going to spend anymore money on the 2 bikes,it would be the dale as i want to upgrade it to disc brakes and new front suss as it feels better then my scott when riding it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Tim.s wrote:
    As for the thrill of overtaking or somehow owning someone on an expensive bike that really is quite childish and passes as experience builds, that "3k bike owning pillock" could have a hangover and would pull your pants down on any other day, maybe hes got an injury or, heaven forbid, just dosn't feel like thrashing himself that day.
    See now I don't agree with that. Or maybe it's because if I overtake/keep up with someone I don't then go past shouting (or thinking) "Yeah, I'm better than you, you f***ing t**t!" :lol:

I fully understand that they might have done a 50 mile ride the day before, or might be on their 5th lap of the trail centre that I'm only going round once. Or they just might not want to ride fast. Doesn't mean you can't be a bit competitive. I love trying to keep up with people on 'big' FS bikes because, if nothing else, it's a good way to increase my technical ability and learn the limits of me and my bike.

Overtaking doesn't have to be done in a sneery "I'm better than you" kind of way. But there's nothing wrong with thinking "he's on a better bike and I was quicker" as long as you know that that might be down to the other person just not being bothered, rather than because of your super-awesome gnarcore skillz.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Personally I wouldn't even consider spending even £1k on a bike if I was starting out, as:-

1. How do I know what type of bike and ridings I'll want to be doing in a years time when I have no prior experience at all. Do I want HT, FS, short travel, long travel. I'd probably ride for a while then curse myself I'd wasted my money on the wrong thing

2. This is just personal, If I rode a £5k bike I'd feel a bit of a fraud, i'd want the skills to be able to "deserve" the bike otherwise I'd be a bit embarased being passed by better riders on "lesser" bikes. Now this point is just a personal thing, if you've got the cash to spend and you don't care what anyboby else thinks then go for it. I think alot of what this thread is about is trying to judge others on their descisions based on our values istead of whether they are nice people or not

The people I don't like on bikes are the ones at trail centres that don't even acknowledge you when you say hello despite them doing nothing more than pedalling down a fireroad.

Last time I was at Cannock I had 3 of them do this in a row. It was quite funny cos I said "Good Morning!" and when these 2 blokes ignored me it was the straw that broke the camels back, so I shouted "Obviously its bl**dy not then!". They quickly claimed they did say hello (lying) as I rode off I couldn't help smiling to myself that I'd gone for a nice day out and had started it out by shouting at 2 complete strangers!
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287

The people I don't like on bikes are the ones at trail centres that don't even acknowledge you when you say hello despite them doing nothing more than pedalling down a fireroad.

This, A lack of trail side manners pi**es me off!

Even just a grunt or a hand or a nod will do!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    LjStronge wrote:

Even just a grunt or a hand or a nod will do!

always manage one of the above but don't expect much more because it interferes with my breathing and rhythm and i'm a bloke, i don't multi task. if i'm stopped things are different.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    ive found the full on xc type the most ignorant, they usually ride alone in full team gear and have an 80mm fork. they usually hate themselves for eating an extra rice krispie, but to be fair they are probably so engrossed in training that they cant spare the oxygen for a greeting off anytype and a nod of the head is out of the question as their neck is already straining under the weight of their helmet
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti