Bikes with NO lights when it's dark!

2»

Comments

• surreyxc wrote:
    What I object to is people continually finger wagging and the desire to remove common sense and risk evaluation with rules, it would be refreshing for people to think for themselves rather than doing something because they are told they should.

Common sense is indeed important.

I reckon that it is common sense to try and illuminate yourself if the alternative is to come down the road virtually invisibly.

Arguments which are "well it is the car that does the damage" should be confined to sixth form debating societies.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I forgot to also mention that the use of lights is often ineffective - people mount them in stupid places - bike shops have some responsibility here. When we bought my wife a helmet, the shop showed her how to fit and wear it, something the Evans never bothered to do for me.

The same should be used for lights - a simple leaflet with each purchase (sponsored by Cat-Eye or whoever) and some simple advice would be a big step forward.

There's also a duty for us to advise other cyclists of lighting issues: I've lost count of the number of times I've told cyclists that their lights were either not working, dull or badly placed - there's a chap rides out of my station with a light on the seat stay, with a pannier behind it. Totally useless, next time I see him I'll tell him.

And, FWIW, I do it wherever possible for cars also - not just the usual "switch your lights on" but also I've nipped out of my car in traffic to tell someone their brake lights weren't working... :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Fly in the onitment time here. When I'm driving, people on bikes without lights stand out like a sore thumb - they just do. Same with cars that don't have working brake lights - you follow them for about 50 yards and it's immediately apparent that the things aren't working, and you accomodate that failure.

Whether it's reverse psychology or what I don't know and wouldn't claim to, but - a bit like cycle helmets - shoudn't there be an epedemic of cycling-related deaths & incidents being caused by unlit cyclists? Is there? I don't know of one.

There seems to be a lot of anger on here these days, from those that are really really bothered that someone who they've never met and are never likely to, are putting themselves at risk by not wearing a helmet, or by failing to ensure adequate lighting is in place. I don't get the anger. Flag it up maybe if you want to, or just tut quietly to yourself. But the anger & hyperbole seems to me to be on the increase, and it's aimed at people you can't even begin to care about. Or is that just me?
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Ahhhh, the standard-issue annual rant about light-less riders thread.

Excellent.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SecretSam wrote:
    And Plod should stop unlit cyclists more.
    You cannot stop what you cannot see

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB wrote:
    Fly in the onitment time here. When I'm driving, people on bikes without lights stand out like a sore thumb - they just do. Same with cars that don't have working brake lights - you follow them for about 50 yards and it's immediately apparent that the things aren't working, and you accomodate that failure.
    Most of the time that's true for me. I have had occasion where I've spotted an unlit rider a lot later than I would have liked. Still saw them in time but late enough that I've had to slam on the brakes. In all the circumstances I can remember this was when there was a lot of other traffic around which I think is what makes the difference.

It has never happened yet but I'd hate to encounter one when driving down an unlit country lane.

In my case it's not really anger its more fear that I might end up hitting one sometime when I'm driving or riding.

Mike