No radios at the Worlds?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Apparently they were verboten at the US road champs as well.
    Cadel and Fab have their say on the ban in the Worlds:
    http://m.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/rival-riders-query-ban-on-race-radios-20100928-15vu4.html
    I wonder whether the ban covers the TT? The pros get a constant feed from the DS about corners and bumps let alone pacing info.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:

If it got past you Iain, the UCI comms department are as hopeless as the rest of them

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I wonder whether the ban covers the TT?
    Yes it does - Pooley is quite happy about that as she thinks getting constant time checks from the team car is counter-productive to her performance.
  • Good idea - it'd be unfair for later starters to have the advantage of time checks.

At least in a Grand Tour you can argue you earn your start time by your position on GC though personally I'd have no radios in racing full stop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    About time too ! - Sorry but am from the old school brought up on the early days of Hinault Lemond Fignon & Kelly - These guys did not need radio`s to race, they used their brains maybe thats why racing today is so boring and riders are turned into robot`s by their team director sportif`s. and please dont go there with the dangers on the road. have you seen the roads coppi & bartali etc raced on way back if you can call them roads and they managed ok.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bronzie wrote:
    Yes it does - Pooley is quite happy about that as she thinks getting constant time checks from the team car is counter-productive to her performance.

Some bloke with a megaphone shouting VENGA VENGA VENGA is much more productive 8)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Some bloke with a megaphone shouting VENGA VENGA VENGA is much more productive 8)
    Living in the UK, she's far more at home having abuse hurled at her from the window of a passing car...............innit.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Any well resourced team will have helpers around the course to shout time gaps to riders and to inform the team car via mobile.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Doesn't matter in TTs - DS will/can always shout.

it should matter more in the road race but I don't think it will make a noticeable difference.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Any well resourced team will have helpers around the course to shout time gaps to riders and to inform the team car via mobile.

Any well resourced team will also have a spare TT bike on the team car....
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Living in the UK, she's far more at home having abuse hurled at her from the window of a passing car...............innit.[/quote]

Cool dadi oh so cool!
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • I thought she lived in Switzerland.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I thought she lived in Switzerland.

Cooke lives in switzerland...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I thought she lived in Switzerland.

Cooke lives in switzerland...

As does Emma Pooley : http://goo.gl/NB7o or ; http://goo.gl/PD9z
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"