Flandis in Oz

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/ ... 4217_x.htm

Nothing really new but interesting anyway.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    keep him away IMO...last thing prestige events need is swamped by his story. The racing is what they are there for...not what happened 10 years ago
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    His input seemed measured, sensible and highly uncontroversial - firmly in thr category of 'nothing we didn't know already'.

The news of a UCI blacklist against Gusev, Rasmussen, Mancebo, Landis, Hamilton etc was far more interesting, as were Sassi's views.

Did think Landis made 2 fair points worth discussing:

1. He knew good people who doped and bad people who doped
    2. How can we clean up the sport in a way that doesn't hurt the sport?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:
    keep him away IMO...last thing prestige events need is swamped by his story. The racing is what they are there for...not what happened 10 years ago

I tend to agree but it is a free world(somewhat) and if people find him of interest what can you do?I really haven't seen anything very remarkable about FL. He seems a fairly normal human being. Just like the rest of us he has done what he deemed best for himself. Did he make a few mistakes in this quest for the best for Floyd? You bet, just like you and I have. Did he deny doing wrong? Sure did, just like most people do. As for right now, he seems to be, once again, doing what he thinks is best for Floyd. Or at least what his "advisers" are telling him is best. I use the word advisers very loosely.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Odd , I thought that they were there for a conference on the 'problems the sport faces as changes occur within the process of its globalisation', including doping, a subject Landis is eminently qualified to talk about...

http://newcyclingpathway.auskadi.mjzhos ... rence.html

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.' George Santayana.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    micron wrote:
    His input seemed measured, sensible and highly uncontroversial - firmly in thr category of 'nothing we didn't know already'.

The news of a UCI blacklist against Gusev, Rasmussen, Mancebo, Landis, Hamilton etc was far more interesting, as were Sassi's views.

Did think Landis made 2 fair points worth discussing:

1. He knew good people who doped and bad people who doped
    2. How can we clean up the sport in a way that doesn't hurt the sport?

Can't see the UCI blacklist mentioned but always wondered why Heras was never allowed back into the sport when others can.

Gusev even had to go to CAS to get his money back and Bryneel was involved in that one so makes you wonder what sort of power he has and who controls who goes on this blacklist.

What did Sassi say ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.' George Santayana.

That's possibly the single most irritating quote there is ever in the world.

And it's absolute rubbish.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:

I'm not sure that I agree with George. Humans have generally always known about the past and the follies of man. It's not that they don't remember it, it's that they choose to ignore it.
    Pretty stupid of us, right???
  • How about the expression:

"tie me kangaroo down mate, tie me kangaroo down", one of the greatest songs ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ