Brake Blocks Rubbing

Easyriding
Easyriding Posts: 56
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Hi all,

I've just put new brake pads on my v-brakes. Sorry if this question has been asked before but...

When I release the brake lever (particularly on the front), the brake arms don't quite centre and I'm left with a pad rubbing slightly on one side of the wheel rim. I've tried adjusting the adjusters but this doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something majorly daft.

I'm happy that the wheels are true and that they're put in the frame centrally, so any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Comments

• IIRC the end of the spring adjusters poke into one of 3 holes on the brake mounts when you put the brakes onto the frame, make sure both sides are the same or the adjusters may not be able to compensate.
    (When you say adjusters I assume you are talking about the little grub screw?)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Just to make sure, are you adjusting these screws?

V_centering.jpg
  • Unclip the narrow metal spring arm that runs up behind the length of the brake arm.

Push it downwards towards the ground - just a centimetre or so until you feel some strong resistance. You are basically re-tensioning the spring by doing this.

Then pop it back it back behind the little clip on the brake arm and the spring ought to pull the arm away from the wheel a bit more. Adjust as per the nice picture above, if needed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Always helps to regrease the pivots!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Always helps to regrease the pivots!

Simon

And GT85 on anything else that moves on the calipers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Apart from the brake pads!

My preferance is copaslip on the pivots and yes either GT85 on everthing else or a little WD40 to disperse followed by GT85 or similar.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
    (Yes I did mean the grub screws). I'll try all these things and I'm sure it'll work.