Newbie question regarding suspension lock out...

Sparks-Fly-Upwards
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello!

I'm a complete newb just about to start commuting to work on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. I was attracted to this bike because of the suspension lock out which I can turn on for most of my commuting when I'm on roads/cycle paths. At times when I'm not cycling to work and on rougher ground I would have the lock out off with the suspension working.

My question is... Is detrimental to the suspension fork to have the lock out on the majority of the time? Can it damage it or reduce its functionality??

Any info will be great!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cheaper forks have mechanical lockouts rather than hydraulic - in normal use it will work fine, but don't hit anything hard with them locked out!
  • Hello, apologies for butting in but how to find out whether the fork has mechanic or hydraulic lockout? :oops:

I'm also a newbie and waiting for my first mtb to be delivered soon (voodoo bokor) and because it is halfords i'm not expecting it to come with lots of papers.. I therefore tried to google the fork (rockshox recon race air) but not much info is out there and it doesn't seem to be on the official website. Thanks!
    one and only - voodoo bokor '10 ;)
  • supersonic
    It should be apparent from the instructions if you have any. The Recon though is hydraulic, and is safe to use on the bumps when locked as it has a bypass valve.
  • Cheers, hopefully it will come with instructions! My friend bought and collected a Carrera Vengeance from Halfords this weekend, and no instructions have been included the only paper they gave us was the buying slip. That's why i wasn't very hopeful for my bike when they deliver it.
  • supersonic
    I'd get back onto Halfords and insist you get the full documents.
  • It's law for them to give you a manual and PDI sheet with EVERY bike, obviously a sh**ty branch doing no good for Halfords image, again.
  • Oooh i see thanks guys we'll go back there and ask for instructions! Apart from the manual and PDI sheet, what else should be there? I read some other people get with their bikes documents for nearly every part in specifications, but i wasn't sure if this was only the case with expensive bikes.
  • supersonic
    You should get docs for the forks, brakes, drivetrain and a general one as a minimimum.
  • Thanks will get back there and ask them! :)
  • Wow! Thanks for all the info guys. This has really helped me out :)
  • If you can't get the manuals you should have you can generally (but not always) find all the information you need on the individual part manufacturers website. Here for example is the Recon manual.