tonight, matthew, I will be wearing.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Have you switched to your winter kit or are you still an inbetweener, like me?

Currenly wearing:

3/4 bib shorts
Old team colour racing jerseys - short sleeved
Old Altura jacket

think I need some roubaix tights for winter again as it is getting dark and cold!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    This morning was LS jersey and bib shorts.

Mind, that was partially because I'd left my gilet, arm warmers and leg warmers in the office over the weekend. Packed my jacket and a baselayer in case I need them for the way home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Altura windstopper tights (which i wear all year dont like showing my legs)
    Under jersy
    long sleeve windstopper castelli jersey
    still on mits but will be moving to full length gloves.

Need to wrap up warm as its pitch black when i get to go out now.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    When Mrs Spider was srapping ice off of her windscreen this morning I decided that maybe the short sleeves would have to go.

-Spider-
  • narrrrr
    ss jersey and summer shorts still lads - come on MTFU :D

Might need the overshorts in november then 3/4's in december. I do run hot though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    Jumped too soon here: a real sweat-bath this morning. Will be back to the shorts tomorrow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    still in shorts, long sleeve running shirt and mitts
  • Shorts, ss base and ls jersey. Fingerless mitts today, usually go glove free.

It's still warm..... :)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Last week was thin 3/4s. Today was roubaix 3/4s. S/s jersey with armwarmers, which stayed on. And a thermal T underneath.

Brrrrrr!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    Does anyone think any of this is indicative of our reative bodyfat %s?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • One thing I was thinking on the way in today was that it felt as if the air was really wet. So riding along, I felt like I was getting a fine spray of moisture on me, which was then evaporating in the wind, cooling me down.

Not really what I wanted.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    still in shorts...must admit to now using a long sleeve top instead of a ss one....but still only one layer required......

Must be 5 degrees warmer in london than it is here.....what are you all like eh?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    It was damp this morning - wet road a light drizzle.

I also have to cross a very windy bit at the top of Brizzle, rest of the journey is a sweat on.....

Still wondering about roubais tights....3/4 or full length?
  • I always ride in my suit, no opportunities to shower or change, but today skullcap, base layer, winter gloves. Was fine on the bike, even though I left home at 4:15 am, but the training room I'm in today is arctic, and I've just had to go out and buy wool socks. Here again Friday, when it'll be wool socks from the off, and my Aldi Merino as a base layer, more for the venue than the ride!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    We are only in autumn - winter is a ways away yet.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    narrrrr

Might need the overshorts in november then 3/4's in december. I do run hot though.

+1 to all of this except the overshorts bit. What are they when they're at home?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bib shorts with ss top and Gore Windstopper on top today. For some reason I started off wearing a Briko skull cap but soon whipped it off.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • HamishD wrote:
    narrrrr

+1 to all of this except the overshorts bit. What are they when they're at home?

Endura single track shorts that when it drops to the low 10's get replaced by singletrack 3/4's

I think one day early this year I wore shorts + full leggings + 3/4's plus 2 layers up top. It was cold that day.

As for % body fat argument it is true for some people but not all. Boffo is a chunkathon and has more layers in summer than I do in winter... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • HamishD
    Aha - cheers . . . .

Did shorts all this winter (loads on top though). There were some days in January where it took me an hour to thaw out my feet in the office before I could head for the shower. Hope it's not that cold this winter!
  • HamishD wrote:
    Aha - cheers . . . .

Did shorts all this winter (loads on top though). There were some days in January where it took me an hour to thaw out my feet in the office before I could head for the shower. Hope it's not that cold this winter!

Well, here's a lesson for you...

I used to ride with thin summer socks and no overshoes all year round. The net result: the toes on my left foot now get cold really easily in winter, and can stay cold for a *very* long time (by which I mean days; and tingle, in a not very pleasant way). I've definitely managed somehow to balls up the circulation in those toes.

For me it's thermal socks, toe covers or full neoprene shoe covers on a precautionary basis now.

The lesson is Don't Be A Hard Man In The Cold.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Does anyone think any of this is indicative of our reative bodyfat %s?

I've lost a couple of kilos over the summer and I was pretty slim in the first place. Added to which I hate being cold, so I've been wondering how I'm going to react if we have another colder than usual winter.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    Greg66 wrote:
    HamishD wrote:
    Aha - cheers . . . .

I used to ride with thin summer socks and no overshoes all year round. The net result: the toes on my left foot now get cold really easily in winter, and can stay cold for a *very* long time (by which I mean days; and tingle, in a not very pleasant way). I've definitely managed somehow to balls up the circulation in those toes.

For me it's thermal socks, toe covers or full neoprene shoe covers on a precautionary basis now.

Amen to that, speaking as someone with rubbish circulation in their hands and feet, and my toes regularly turn blueish-purple when cold. They haven't dropped off yet, but I do worry sometimes. Cold knees are a bad idea as well, given the history of arthritis in my family.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • HamishD
    Greg66 wrote:
    HamishD wrote:
    Aha - cheers . . . .

It was a lesson well learned, believe me. I have longs etc a-plenty this year . . .
  • Baggies and MTB s/s top still, did think about jersey and full length bibs this morning but then decided to MTFU!

Glad I did, it's turned into a lovely sunny afternoon on the coast down here! :D
  • cee wrote:
    still in shorts...must admit to now using a long sleeve top instead of a ss one....but still only one layer required......

I'm still in the lycra shorties but threw the Gore Phantom on this morning as the cloud-base was at road level. Overheated pretty rapidly and had to undo the zip once I had wound up to cruising speed.

When it's been dry I've just been in s/s cycling jersey, but with a sneaky thin merino vest on underneath (helps avoid nipple chafe!)
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • a helmet, an ipod, shades, and nothing else
  • asprilla
    mese13 wrote:
    a helmet, an ipod, shades, and nothing else

Where do you keep the ipod?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    mese13 wrote:
    a helmet, an ipod, shades, and nothing else

Where do you keep the ipod?

Up the iPoo'ed obviously.....
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm in that variable area at the moment, depending upon the chilliness of the morning air. Anything from SS jersey & bib shorts, through to base layer, LS jersey and bib tights; with the occasional waterproof jacket.

On the other hand, my lights are nearly in full-on winter mode. I now have 6 lights on my bike (2 front; a Magicshine lamp and a Knog Frog, and 4 on the back; a Knog Frog, red Fibreflare, Smart red LED and blue LED). Just my Monkeylights to go on when the darkness really hits.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Long sleeve jersey and knee warmers this morning.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Last week was thin 3/4s. Today was roubaix 3/4s. S/s jersey with armwarmers, which stayed on. And a thermal T underneath.

Brrrrrr!

And far too warm on the way home. Annoying.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A