Pro XC Mountain Biker Riding Questions

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited September 2010 in MTB general
After competing in the End to End a couple of weeks ago i had a few thoughts.

I know Nick Craig is a pro, ex olympian etc and obviously as i saw had a top notch Scott bike.

1: How much riding do the likes of him do a day/per week? Both in hours & rough mileage.
2: Do the stick to their MTBs or also do a bit of Raod Cycling too?

I don't aspire to be as good as pros of this level but after a ride yesterday when i thought i did pretty well i thought to myself just how much quicker a pro would have gone compared to a mere mortal like myself.
Yes diet etc plays a part too but how some of these XC pros can sustain such a fast pace for a long (2/3/4 hours) perios of time without being like a crumpled shattered heap.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nick Craig was always known for being a bit more relaxed than some of the other top guys, he tended to just ride his bike a lot, rather than train very specifically.

The vast majority of riders will do most of their training on the road, particularly through winter, when they'll be doing anything from 20-35+ hours a week, mileage is impossible to say. During the season the quantity drops marginally and they'll do more intervals.

Different folk do different things though, so it's virtually impossible to come up with any sweeping generalisations on what the top folk do. Some of the top guys, Ian Wilkinson, Gareth Montgomerie etc fit it all in around full time jobs too!