Hi all - another newbie

trev k
trev k Posts: 8
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Just thought I'd take the opportunity to say hi.

New to mountain biking, and not been on a bike for years, the car made sure of that. but thought I'd get one for fitness, loose weight, and maybe to cycle to work.

I've only got a cheapie, due to having a few vouchers from work for Halfords, I bought a Carrea Vulcan vspec, a few bits and picking up bits and pieces as I go along. Money is tight as always so it had to be that. Anyway I'm sure I will enjoy it, I've only been out on it a couple of times but both enjoyable. I'm in Reading and near 5 mins from me are woods, damn hilly too, but I'm itching to get out again this week.

I'm also a photographer, so will hopefully get along to a meet at some point.

Anyway thats my intro.

Cheers

Trev

Comments

• trev k wrote:
    I've only got a cheapie,

Doesn't matter fella, you've made the start.
    When bits start breaking you'll upgrade them, eventually move on to a bike worth a little bit more, upgrade all those bits too, then think why the hell do I buy a bike then replace all the bits before they've busted....just like the rest of us :wink:

There is bike snobbery out there, but anyone can bike on any budget and if I saw you up in the gap in the Beacons yeah, I'd have a gander at the bike tbh but you're a biker and therefore a mate. Too many people new to the game think you have to have a rig worth a coupla grand to fit in. Everyone started somewhere, some of us with our parents buying our first mountain bike and others simply buying one to get fit or get out more or whatever.
    Hope you enjoy it and stick with it, you've made a step into a whole new world :wink:
  • Hi Trev,

+1 for what Doggegg wrote, i was in the same place as you couple of years ago, fast got the bug...

And it is very infectious :lol:
    It's all in the glory!!!

2011 Giant Trance X2
    [url=ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/Lucozadejim/MyMachine4.jpg]ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... chine4.jpg[/url]
    2008 Rockrider HT
  • Cheers doggegg,

Yeah, when looking around and reading, the press keep mentioning a budget of £500. Well thats great if you can but if you can't, then start low and work you way up.

So, I need to get out more to get used to the bike and its traits,and work on my skills (lack of) too :)
  • Hi Trev -

I see your in Reading, which means your very close to the wonderful world of Swinley!

Hope to see you around over there some time!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • I'll aim to get to the lookout at somepoint. I've only walked there a couple of years ago, but saw quite a few MTB's knocking around.
  • trev k wrote:
    I'll aim to get to the lookout at somepoint. I've only walked there a couple of years ago, but saw quite a few MTB's knocking around.

It's an awesome place once you know where all the trails are!!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.