Where to cycle for a week or two - a dilemma

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
As a relatively new, but very fit cyclist, my brother is keen to go away next summer for a week or two's cycle touring. I have said I am up for it but we unfortunately have different tastes in preferred locations.

My brother wished to cycle round the west coast of Scotland, which, while unquestionably beautiful, is not my cup of tea. I would really like to go somewhere we are more likely to get good weather, which just isn't guaranteed in Scotland.

We have left it that I will go and come up with an alternative suggestion that has to 'beat' Scotland. Now I am thinking about the northern alps, based in Annecy or somewhere of that ilk.
Has anyone any suggestions of good cycling regions with some spectacular scenery that has a reasonable chance of good weather in may/June? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Ben.

Comments

• Sorry, should have said, we are looking for options of mountainous to slightly hilly where possible and we will be touring so covering up to 60 miles a day but can stay in different locations I.e. Start in x but end the holiday in y.
  • Ahem:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z146 ... ltered.jpg

That'll be the West coast of Scotland.

don't worry about the weather, just take the right kit. You'll be fine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • That is an amazing photo. I have no quarms it is stunning over there I just much prefer riding in warm weather. I have not discounted it but I just want to think of some alternatives and this is an excellent place for ideas.
  • Pyranees end to end ,hard core but nice and sunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pyranees end to end ,hard core but nice and sunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Raid!

Ben, if mountains are your plan then further south may be wisest. Not sure many northen alpine passes will be open in may/early june. (I could be very wrong, though. Feel free to correct me dear readers). Thought about Italy? The beautiful scenery the giro d'italia goes through in may is very tempting
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Got to surely be in to the Alps!! I went to a place called Serre Chevalier (ryanair to Turin and then 45 min car) this summer and cycled around the most stunning countryside for a week.
    There's a huge lake nearbye where we swam, and we also hired mountainbikes and put them on the back of the chairlift and came down the mountains - the most fun I've ever had on a bike. Although could barely hold my cold glass of beer afterwards as my forearms were so stiff!!
  • Ben,

I'd also highly recommend the Pyrenees c2c. See my thread with mapmyride links, did it in 6 and a bit days and loved every minute of it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12712122&highlight=pyrenees+c2c

You can never guarantee the weather as you are in the mountains but we had 5 good days in 6 during Sept. If you want to take it further drop me a note and I'll let you know which hotels were excellent and which were a bit shite.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I went motorbike touring in the alps two years ago. It was snowing at the top of St Bernards pass and very cold. That was June 16th.

Probably have to go a bit later than that for guarenteed sun, even then it's not guarenteed. There might just not be snow at the top.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The Atlas Mountains in Morocco could offer a wealth of exciting opportunities?
  • Okay - if this going to turn into a p*ssing contest :wink:

http://www.responsibletravel.com/Trip/Trip900712.htm

Cycle to the Everest Base camp. 8)

Beat that :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Okay - if this going to turn into a p*ssing contest :wink:

http://www.responsibletravel.com/Trip/Trip900712.htm

Cycle to the Everest Base camp. 8)

Beat that :D

Would make for a great descent.....
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    You could ride part of the Mille Cymru - a 1000km route through Wales. You can find out more details here. If the links don't work I know the person who charted out the route and I can probably get more info for you.
    Steve C