insurance question (dirty thieving scum)

jonnyc2420
jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Had our house broken into last night and the gits cycled away on my bike taking other stuff along with it. however what I want to know is having the bike insured for £960 (it was a year old) and it being discontinued - an Orange evo8 - what do you think will be a likley offer from the insurance company?
all the endorsements set by the company were ok but still waiting for the crime ref number before i give them the good news......
Oh and there pics in the stolen section should anyone try offloading it in your local etc............ :cry:
Falcon Sierra - 80's
Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
GT Palomar 90's
GT Zaskar LE - 90's
Cannondale k v 900 90's
Santa Cruz Bullit - now
Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
Orange P7 Pro
Lots of kites.

Comments

• Argue tooth and nail for the full amount. You are entitled for a like for like replacement and bikes don't have a second hand Market like cars, there are no service histories or mots to prove it's been looked after. It's been insured for that amount of money (especially if you've got it as a specified item) and you should get it. Make sure you dig up all the receipts and read your policy carefully if they get difficult.

My bike is insured on the house insurance and is specified on the policy. If it gets nicked or otherwise damaged beyond repair I get the full amount for it.
  • Had 2 bikes stolen, my P7 and an Orange Gringo (which was covered under the home insurance as a bike worth up to £500)

They replaced it with an Orange G2 so I guess you could try for a G3 or G4?

If the insurance company refer you to Wheelies of Swansea, then you can "pay the difference" and upgrade to a Crush maybe?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Old for new replacement on your insurance policy no?

Usually are, its not like car insurance where you get the market value.
  • Yup, old for new on policy - but the evo is discontinued - do i get to choose or the insurance company?
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Alot of insurers have a company that they send policy holders to for the new bikes, for example direct line just sent me to Evans insurance claims department with the amount of money I insured the bike for. They told me what I could get and I chose the best bike and accessories that they offered me. :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jonnyc2420 wrote:
    Yup, old for new on policy - but the evo is discontinued - do i get to choose or the insurance company?

When you said whats the likely offer from the insurance company I thought you ment how much will I get ;)
  • some thieving scum bag stole my bike Gary Fisher Paragon 99 but as i had up graded things such as wheels and brakes and front and rear mechs i had my local bike shop do me a price to replace the custom built bike and the insurance paid out. The bike was over 10yrs old but as some one has aleady pointed out they have to give you new for old. Show the insurance some pics and they cant say no with a crime refrence number. This worked in my favour as im now the proud owner of a lovely Gary Fisher HiFi Pro carbon and loving every minute of it Padlocked in three places with 24 hr dog patrol . Although the local fuzz recovered my frame, and nicked the yob who stripped down this wonderful machine probably to sell the parts cheap as chips for drugs i still miss the old hardtail racing snake .Good luck with your claim
    TO COME DOWN, YOU MUST FIRST GO UP.
  • Cheers guys - missing the bike like crazy but luckily still got the Santa Cruz to play with (it was covered with crap at the back of the workshop so overlooked i think).........
    spent the day fitting a new alarm system with zones for conservatory and workshp also. will invest in a ground anchor next week as well. will take up the suggestion of talking with my LBS, they know the time and money spent on the bike so may try to push for a crush or equivalent. ive been told to get 2 quotes by ins company so keeping fingers crossed.
    also reaslised last night that my camelback was swiped as well - chocca full of stuff that i would have taken on the sunday night ride - have itemised everything and decided i take way too much rubbish out on my back....gonna try to claw it all back on the claim though.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Cheers guys - missing the bike like crazy but luckily still got the Santa Cruz to play with (it was covered with crap at the back of the workshop so overlooked i think).........
    spent the day fitting a new alarm system with zones for conservatory and workshp also. will invest in a ground anchor next week as well. will take up the suggestion of talking with my LBS, they know the time and money spent on the bike so may try to push for a crush or equivalent. ive been told to get 2 quotes by ins company so keeping fingers crossed.
    also reaslised last night that my camelback was swiped as well - chocca full of stuff that i would have taken on the sunday night ride - have itemised everything and decided i take way too much rubbish out on my back....gonna try to claw it all back on the claim though.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Well just an update - the insurance company have asked for a quote to replace stuff and or recipts manuals. managed to find one of the three for nearly everything (god bless paypal)

LBS have very obligingly taken into account upgrades and quoted me for a 2010 Orange P7 pro, will now just have to wait and see what happens i guess.
    - on a side note I was in the local police station today for work related stuff and they had a HUGE haul of top end bikes just come in from a 'house visit' - one of which was used to go to a burglary 2 streets away from my house - the case is ongoing so hope yet ! -

I have also fitted ground anchor, intruder alarm to house and garage and spiky bits to the top of my fence (and rat traps cunningly placed where the scroat would have placed his hand on the inside of the fenc to climb over) :evil:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.