New to the forums....Newbie advice needed!

GAZAMAN77
GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
First of all I'd like to say a big hello.
I have recently bought my first bike in about 15 years and I'm really enjoyng it. I did my first ride last week which was a 25 mile trail route which was ok but it became a bit boring after a bit.So I decided to try some off road action and after following a route I downloaded (GPX file) to my GPS all I can say is wow......I absolutety loved it! Was grinning like a kid at Christmas. It was only 15 miles and would probably be tame for you guys but as a taster for off roading, I loved it.It had plenty of technical downhills and some "hang on and hope for the best" moments so had some variety.
After getting home I have given my bike a jetwash down and a quick dry down but is there anything else I should be doing? I obviously want to keep my bike in as good condition as I can so want to look after it. Should I be oiling anything or checking anything after washing it down.
Sorry if this a daft qustion but I really am starting from the beginning and want to learn as much as I can and get to know what I should and shouldn't be doing.
Any other maintenance and general advice would be appreciated (I know nothing) :oops:
My bike is a Giant Talon 2.5. Does anybody have the same? Or had any hands on with one? Just wondering if I have made a good purchase.
Also I live in Derbyshire so if anybody knows any good routes nearby(not too hard though) that would be great
Thanks for your time folks

Gaz

Comments

• piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Glad you are enjoying it again,when you wash the bike with the jet wash stay away from your wheel hubs and bottom bracket,you may blast the grease out of them.
    Otherwise just dry your chain and give it an oil.works for me anyway.Drivetrain gets a good clean every month or so.
    For maintenance advise ask on the forum or use this site:-
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/
  • You can also check out www.sheldonbrown.com. He offers lots of explanations about how parts work, what parts a bike consists of, and good cleaning procedures and general upkeep. Highly recommend it.
  • Thanks for the replies, I shall take a look at those pages later.
    One more thing....I am going to subscribe to this magazine and wondered if the seat they are giving away is actually any good? If so I would like it in white :twisted: anybody have any views on a white seat? I think it would look good to start with but cant help but think it will soon look filthy and shabby.

Gaz
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    After getting home I have given my bike a jetwash down and a quick dry down but is there anything else I should be doing? I obviously want to keep my bike in as good condition as I can so want to look after it. Should I be oiling anything or checking anything after washing it down.

The key thing maintenance-wise is cleaning your drivetrain regularly, as this will make it all last a lot longer - if you leave a load of grit and muck grinding around it'll just wear things out.

The other thing to check on are the disc brake pads. They should last a while, but just keep an eye on them as there's nothing worse (or more dangerous) than running out of pad mid-ride.

I use my post-ride bike clean as the best time to check everything over for any damage or wear-and -tear that might have occurred - worthwhile for spotting potential problems before they become serious.

GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Also I live in Derbyshire so if anybody knows any good routes nearby(not too hard though) that would be great

Depends whereabouts in Derbyshire you are, however there's loads of riding around Ladybower - just look on a O/S map for the bridleways - plenty of variation to make it as challenging as you like.

Further west, there's the area around Edale/Hope/Hayfield - some serious climbs and rockey descents, but a few sections faster and more flowy...
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Oh, and make sure you're able to carry out basic trail-side repairs so that you can get yourself home. Key stuff would be:

1. fix punctures / replace inner tubes
    2. repair a snapped chain

At the very least, always carry one spare inner tube, a 5mm allen key, tyre levers, and a chain tool (plus spare split-pin or spare power-links)
  • Watch your front forks if using a jet wash, the water can get inbto the suspention. In fact, better not usiing jet wash as it can be too powerful and could cause more harm than good. A hose down is better if you have one, or use a lower pressure garden sprayer.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Thanks for the advice chaps its really appreciated. And thanks for the liks...I'll check them out later.
    @ shm_uk I live in chesterfield so quite close to the places you mention. Its amazing that there seems to be so many decent places on my doorstep but as i've never had any reason to look, I dont know they are there.
    I'll get some maps purchased and see whats about.

Thanks again

Gaz