KENT TO CORNWALL - CHARITY RIDE

RAMONJKD
RAMONJKD Posts: 11
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello there,

I am planning a charity ride next year from Kent to Cornwall in aid of the Alzheimers Society, at 59 my mum has an advanced level of the disease and I am keen to raise money for all that have helped us since the condition began some 4 years ago.

I know that from reading the forum a few people have done this route as a cycling holiday, so in some respects it isnt an extreme 1000mile trek or anything. The challenge will be that most of the people that I have persuaded to ride are of a limited fitness level, and will be new to cycling. I am a regular road rider and so am pretty sure that will adequate training I will be fine(if a little saddle sore!).

I am estimating that It will be approx 300-350 miles so am allowing 4 days at the moment. The ride won't be until August next year so i have plenty of time to organise things. At this stage I am after advice/experiences/possible routes etc from anyone that has done similar. Also advice regarding the actual organisation would be a great help!.......

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Can't offer any advice etc. but what route are you planning? I'm hoping to do a ride from Chatham, Deal, Portsmouth, Poole, Exeter Taunton & Plymouth next year so I'll be interested in watching this thread/see how it develops :)
  • Haven't sorted a route yet as such but started looking into it, we will be heading from tonbridge to Newquay, so I guess head toasted Brighton direction first then try and remain as Coastal as possible. Would like to take in dartmoor as well....
  • I have very recently ridden a route similar to the one you're proposing. I set of from Caterham and headed south to Brighton then west along the coast to Seaton where I headed northwest to Tiverton then onto Holsworthy then cross country to Polzeath on the north cornish coast. The year before I set of from Liverpool st and headed west through Windsor, Hungerford, Pewsey, Glastonbury, Taunton, Tiverton, Holsworthy and finally Polzeath. The Inland route by far the easier (no real hills until Devon). And the stretch between Tiverton and Hatherleigh being my favourite.
    You will be very lucky not to ride into a headwind for some of if not the entire journey, inland or coastal. The coast road and surrounding terrain can at times be relentlessy hilly especially Dorset.
    Depending on what bikes you are using and how much luggage you are taking some of your less experienced friends could well be in for a baptism of fire. Saying that, if on road bikes and supported and everyone is fit you should be ok. By way of comparison I can comfortably cycle 100 mls a day on a road bike. I did it the other week on a heavy MTB with panniers, tent, bar bag etc etc and it took me 7 days, but I did have 2 easier days where I met up with mates, I could prob done it in 6 had I put my head down.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy it.

JS