Cavendish interview in the Independent

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited September 2010 in Pro race
His usual frisky self. I love "the Mad Manxman".

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 89810.html
He says one particular team manager protests at Cavendish's sprints because he "tries to f.ck with me at every possible opportunity, which is ironic considering he was a sprinter and I actually looked up to him. But now I have no respect for him".

At the risk of coming across like "an ill-informed ignoramus who writes complete sh.t", any guesses? Van Poppel maybe?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,161
    I'd say Van Poppel too. Cervelo never missed an opportunity to complain about him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Did anyone see anything about him taking a tow on the final stage?

I know it was pretty widely reported he was motor assisted part way up the final mountain stage, Is that what he's on about? Because he wouldn't have been surrounded by cameras and stuff.

Poor Mark being victimised. :roll:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Maybe its because we're up to date on Cav, but that just reads like a bit of a pointless page filler.. nothing new in there...
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Did anyone see anything about him taking a tow on the final stage?

I know it was pretty widely reported he was motor assisted part way up the final mountain stage, Is that what he's on about? Because he wouldn't have been surrounded by cameras and stuff.

Poor Mark being victimised. :roll:

The public can take photos too though.

Having said that i was at 4km to go on the climb above Morzine this year and one rider came past holding onto a car that must have been doing well over 20mph while giving him a drinks bottle. He was only about three minutes down at the time too but i didnt see anyone get penalised.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ah, that'smyboy.

Although I am concerned that he has clearly been receiving media-training-brainwashing. I mean, there was hardly a swear word in that interview. He may be going soft.

He's also " a regular trawler of the worldwide web", so at his next book signing, I'd better not ask him to write 'to Tusher' or he'll flee in terror.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Easy Tusher, you know attending the signing will break the terms of the restraining order ;)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Sigh.
    He's just so utterly gorgeous- you just want to grab him and hold him close and .............

time for bed, methinks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :shock:
  • So despite having "legs of steel" now he's actually seen the course, it's too difficult for him...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... -difficult

But then maybe this is some tricky, mind game double bluff? Or maybe he's just a berk?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    So despite having "legs of steel" and "winning what he aims to win", now he's actually seen the course, it's too difficult for him...

But then maybe this is some tricky double bluff? Or maybe he's just a berk?

He said he wants to win the Worlds, not which specific year.

I'm happy to take wagers from anyone who thinks he won't do so in the next, say, five years.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:

I'm happy to take wagers from anyone who thinks he won't do so in the next, say, five years.

Well, no, he says "I'll win what I aim to win" and I'm sure he can given the right course. I just don't understand why nobody checked out the course, say, like the Italians did in July. Quite a long way to go and I'm guessing alot of preparation put in to find out the course doesn't suit you.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DaveyL wrote:

Well, no, he says "I'll win what I aim to win" and I'm sure he can given the right course. I just don't understand why nobody checked out the course, say, like the Italians did in July. Quite a long way to go and I'm guessing alot of preparation put in to find out the course doesn't suit you.

Not that I disagree with you, but it would be a very small field if the only riders that showed up were the ones the 'course suited'.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DaveyL wrote:

Like I think andyp wrote somewhere earlier - it'll be a useful experience if he wants to win in Copenhagen next year.
  • OK, I'll put my hands up and admit I was wrong. Just looking through Pro Cycling and it seems that HTC's Allan Peiper checked out the course in January. So if your reading this Mark (and I'm sure you will...) I'm sorry for all the nasty things I said about you. I'm sure you'll look fab with those "solid bands" around your belly and sleeves. People on the internet eh?

(Your still a berk though :D )
  • Well, no, he says "I'll win what I aim to win" and I'm sure he can given the right course. I just don't understand why nobody checked out the course, say, like the Italians did in July. Quite a long way to go and I'm guessing alot of preparation put in to find out the course doesn't suit you.

If only British Cycling had an elite cyclist* with years of experience at the World RR who could have popped over to Australia once the course had been announced, and ridden it a few times to check it out. Surely we'd have been saved all these months of forum angst?

*Nicole Cooke last November - "course is very tough and harder than described".
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    So despite having "legs of steel" and "winning what he aims to win", now he's actually seen the course, it's too difficult for him...

But then maybe this is some tricky double bluff? Or maybe he's just a berk?

that's not such a scary challenge from a pseudo cyclist like you. The guy is a sprinter.
  • DaveyL
    Pseudo? How dare you.

I'll have you know I don't own one piece of Rapha clothing.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp

If only British Cycling had an elite cyclist* with years of experience at the World RR who could have popped over to Australia once the course had been announced, and ridden it a few times to check it out. Surely we'd have been saved all these months of forum angst?
    *Nicole Cooke last November - "course is very tough and harder than described".

Like we'd take the word of an experienced rider ahead of our own sofa formed expert opinions? :wink:
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Pseudo? How dare you.

I'll have you know I don't own one piece of Rapha clothing.

That sir, is a lie of Armstrong-esqe proportions.

I know for a fact you have a Rapha EPO t-shirt.
  • DaveyL
    You cad.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    You cad.

You can raise a glass to my awesome memory.
  • andyp
    Makes mental note to never share anything incriminating with Iain.
  • DaveyL
    I'm tranquilo
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Here's what to do

1) Produce a back-dated TUE (Tee-shirt Use Exemption).

2) Hope that the use of enzyme-based washing powders would have removed every trace of Rapha

3) Claim that the chain of custody will have been broken while the shirt was thrown in the back of a drawer.

4) Give me $88,000 and I'll write a dodgy looking receipt to prove you actually purchased a M&S shirt.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'm tranquilo

you have no other choice
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    LangerDan wrote:
    Here's what to do

1) Produce a back-dated TUE (Tee-shirt Use Exemption).

2) Hope that the use of enzyme-based washing powders would have removed every trace of Rapha

3) Claim that the chain of custody will have been broken while the shirt was thrown in the back of a drawer.

4) Give me $88,000 and I'll write a dodgy looking receipt to prove you actually purchased a M&S shirt.

:D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • DaveyL
    This is a violation of my human rights. Iain had no legal authority to look in my T-shirt drawer.

Anyway I only thought about wearing the T-shirt, I never actually put it on.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    This is a violation of my human rights. Iain had no legal authority to look in my T-shirt drawer.

Anyway I only thought about wearing the T-shirt, I never actually put it on.

Are you afraid you'd look like the only Jan in the village?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have lots of money and good lawyers, I'll bury you in a tshirt
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DaveyL wrote:
    You cad.

Whats a Cad? (serious question - I've never heard that term before)