Voodoo bokor question

monkey186
monkey186 Posts: 48
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello, after much thinking i just ordered the voodoo bokor from halfords (expected to arrive in about a week, can't wait!)

One thing i wanted to ask about is the model year - on halfords website it doesn't say anything, apart from the picture of the bike which is in bright dark blue - the same picture and (it seems) the same specifications that are on the review here, and the review here states it as '10 model.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-10-36920

But then on the voodoo website, the 2010 model seems different colour and different specifications... And i couldn't find the link to '09 specification model. So i was wondering which model bokor i'm getting?

http://www.voodoocycles.net/bokor.htm

Many thanks
one and only - voodoo bokor '10 ;)

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Neither of those two by the looks of it. The fork is different on both of them to what Halford's site says.

I'd say it's more likely it's the 2010 version and Halfords have modded the spec slightly. It's got the same swoop where the downtube meets the headtube, which the 09 version doesn't have.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Halfords have bought the frames and are putting them together with their kit options - for Halfords they don't strictly follow the model a year plan, they keep doing them until they run out of the stock and then do a new line

anyway, I have one of these and the spec is as per the Bikeradar site not the voodoo site. as far as the spec goes, it's superb for the money because as well as the fork, wheels being decent, they haven't cut corners with headset cables etc where this normally happens of a price conscious bike.

I've not changed a thing on it yet, I even get on ok with the saddle., the only bit I'm considering is different tyres as the geax ones are great in the dry but not in the wet

good choice
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Thanks, so in other words bikeradar reviewed the model with specifications offered by halfords? Which is what i hoped it would be, as we decided on the bike after reading the review and the forum!

I'm really happy with my choice, still a complete novice regarding bikes and especially their specifications so just trusted the review, and its great to know other owners are happy with the bike. I'll be using it most days to travel to and from uni, and during weekends going further away with friends somewhere off-road.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Make sure it's locked up extremely well at uni! And make sure it's insured.

Other than that, enjoy it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yep once i collect the bike to read the frame number i'm insuring it with endsleigh and getting the lock they require.

The security/locks was another researching headache during past few days, and main thing i understood is if they want to steal the bike they will. So main protection will be insurance, coupled with a good d-lock and cable to hopefully deter thieves. (I'm also thinking about two d-locks, and possibly keeping one locked at uni to reduce carrying weight.)
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    monkey186 wrote:
    Yep once i collect the bike to read the frame number i'm insuring it with endsleigh and getting the lock they require.

The security/locks was another researching headache during past few days, and main thing i understood is if they want to steal the bike they will. So main protection will be insurance, coupled with a good d-lock and cable to hopefully deter thieves. (I'm also thinking about two d-locks, and possibly keeping one locked at uni to reduce carrying weight.)

Don't leave a lock. Thieves can practise on it or tamper with it while you're not there.

See what bike-stands your uni has before you spend a lot of money on a lock. If they've got sheffield stands (U shaped posts buried/bolted to the floor), then a D-lock through the rear triangle is a decent deterrent. If they've got butterfly/wheelbender stands (ones where you secure your front wheel), then a chain or multiple d-locks is the only option.
  • chedabob wrote:
    Don't leave a lock. Thieves can practise on it or tamper with it while you're not there.

That's a good point! I haven't thought of that :shock:

The reason behind wanting two d-locks is i think i'd feel better leaving the bike with both frame, back wheel and fork secured. As it seems these are the three most expensive parts of the bike, so thieves can be tempted... But then carrying 4kg extra is not very attractive! I might just have to compromise on 1 very good d-lock and a thick cable (although i do understand cables are near useless but hopefully the thickness of one will deter most common petty thieves)

Thanks for the heads up on the stands - this is another good question, if i buy only one d-lock ideally i'd like it to be versatile, to be useful both at uni and also during weekends when we go out of city, where there maybe no bike-stands...

So many things to think of! :)