Assos FuguHelm Winter Cap

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited December 2010 in The bottom bracket
Just had a look at the FuguHelm winter cap :D

Sounds a good idea to have insulated winter cap with an attached peak to help keep rain of glasses 8)

Ok i know it's Assos but almost passed out when i saw the price tag £80!!! :shock:

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    So it's like Rapha 'belgian' cap then. Or it's an expensive version of a cycling cap with a few 'trick' features that ramp the price up.
    M.Rushton
  • You wouldn't wear this one then?

Pedo_Bear_Hat_by_Butterscotch_Llama.png
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Hey, guys!

I got really lucky as excelsports here in US had these caps for $60! I bought one and after I received it in the mail, I went online and got a second one And now they are all gone.

I wore it down to 35F with wind here in Massachusetts and so far so good - head is nice and toasty without being overheated, the ear padding is fantastic as I can hear the cars behind me as though I have no cap on. Oh, yeah ...and speaking of that self-sweat managing visor - is is simply AMAZING! I have completely forgotten the days when I'd get cold and sweaty in my Stinger hat constantly having to pull it down to cover my earlobes...

My advice - if you can get it for a good price, do not hesitate. Just like with most Assos products, fuguHelm is worth every penny and then some.

I'm not affiliated with Assos in any way :) I just really love this product.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Mine is so stylish and functional I also wear it off the bike.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well, with Assos you get what you pay for. My stinger skull cap is the best skull cap i have ever had. I'm sure it's great value at 80 quid quite honestly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is it much better than a £5 buff or Hedy ? I've loads of those - very versatile for the winter.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

You didn't by any chance travel up to Newcastle last Thursday for the showing of "Chasing Legends" at the Tyneside cinema did you :wink: ? There was a guy there in jeans and trainers but he was also wearing a matching Assos cycling top and cap!!! In my opinion that's taking the whole Assos thing a little too far.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I'm sure its very effective but it looks like something your mum might have made you wear when you were three, along with a pair of mittens connected by a piece of wool running through your sleeves.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    brucey72 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

You didn't by any chance travel up to Newcastle last Thursday for the showing of "Chasing Legends" at the Tyneside cinema did you :wink: ? There was a guy there in jeans and trainers but he was also wearing a matching Assos cycling top and cap!!! In my opinion that's taking the whole Assos thing a little too far.

No, I was at a Rapha launch

+1 for the Assos stinger hat though.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I'd strongly recommend the SealSkinz Peaked Beanie, just started using one and it's grrrreat - warm, water and windproof, even a small tasteful embroidered logo up front and only £18 from Tredz (other online retailers are available)
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I saw this Assos cap online just the other day and thought it must be a joke at that price (and I own a LOT of Assos stuff).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Blimey, makes the Rapha look like a steal :shock:
  • I think there was a bit of confusion before the dealers got these fuguHelms in stock.

I first pre-ordered it at competitivecyclist when it was advertised at $59.95 (BTW, that's how much I paid at excelsports and it is the lowest price to date) and they kept pushing off the ship date, then I got fed up with it, wrote them an email - they replied saying that it will be in stock but the price now would be $160!!! I've cancelled my order right away, went over to excelsports and never looked back.

Now you can't find them anywhere.

My favorite points about this hat is perfect fit while riding and the fact that it dries itself out, so you are never sweaty.

Frankly, I don't see the point of those double loops for glasses - did not work for me. Maybe I should try again.

This morning was pretty windy here and like 27F - I did not have to think about what I'm wearing at all :) just enjoyed the ride.

Hope you, Assos lovers, can find this for a good price too.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    I'm sure its very effective but it looks like something your mum might have made you wear when you were three, along with a pair of mittens connected by a piece of wool running through your sleeves.

that's because your mum, as any really caring individual would, always found the most anatomically correct and foolproof solution :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cougie wrote:
    Is it much better than a £5 buff or Hedy ? I've loads of those - very versatile for the winter.
    Of course it is - it is Assos!
  • http://www.bikebling.com/Assos-Fuguhelm ... lm-hat.htm

enter coupon 'hookup' for 10% off

and hurry up, the store have been adding $100+ to the original intro price.

Good Luck!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Stil comes up at £55 with postage, after conversion. $28 to post to UK. Suppose that is 30% 0ff UK prices.

I bought one.

I like warm ears.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    £55!!!!

I've spent lots of money on overpriced bike 5h1te in my time but it's getting silly now. I suppose if you have the money and want it then ok but the bike market seems to be going up it's ar5e at times. I look at Prendas then Assos/Rapha and shake my head. There seems to be a law of diminishing returns going on in that Assos used to make very good expensive kit but now they make very good very expensive kit in countries where production is cheaper.
    M.Rushton
  • Scrumple
    edited December 2010
    I read somewhere the Assos blurb saying they expected it may not sell, and seems expensive. It is made of the right materials in the right places. Like any of their gear, it will work, and be the best.

I only use a windproof headband, as most hats are horrible and make my head itch. The Rapha one has no ear flaps, and most skull caps are just a beanie.

I like the idea this does not get wet and sweaty, that it has a flip down peak, that it has vents, and that it has honeycomb material on the ear its so you can still hear! It just looks right. Gets great write ups. Ok, you may say "trick", but the tricks add up to what I need in a hat - warm where it needs to be.

Gloves cost up to £50. I'll never buy another hat. Plus, I can use it walking the mutts, and when watching football in the winter.

It is a hat for life - Assos even repair things! I can, so I did.
  • Scrumple
    "fuguHelm was not initially created with a commercial purpose in mind but to challenge our engineers... Assos understand that the fuguHelm is expensive and may not even be a commercial success but as the most technologically advanced winter hat ever created, it works so well that they had to make more."

even seen it re-written for dramatic effect:

"We do realize FuguHelm is ridiculously expensive, and we understand that it may be a “commercial” flop. Of greater importance is that it is probably the most technically advanced winter cycling hat ever created. FugHelm works so well, we had to make more"

Most likely it will be too hot, and will stay in the drawer. :oops:
  • cedar404
    cedar404 Posts: 176
    It was worth a try but Bike Bling are not honouring orders at that price on the website (mine at least). Got an email from them saying the pricing was incorrect and would I like to buy at the correct price with a small discount. Declined their offer.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Scrumple wrote:

It is a hat for life - Assos even repair things! I can, so I did.

Post a pic of you wearing it ;)

Hat sounds kinda like the Buggati Veyron - VW created it at huge expense as a technical exercise. They lost shedloads of money on it (from what I can recall from the Top Gear story I saw on it) but it raised their profile, etc. Even to this day, each one they sell still costs them money*

*This appears to be correct from a web search
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pokerface wrote:
    Hat sounds kinda like the Buggati Veyron - VW created it at huge expense as a technical exercise. They lost shedloads of money on it (from what I can recall from the Top Gear story I saw on it) but it raised their profile, etc. Even to this day, each one they sell still costs them money*

*This appears to be correct from a web search

I believe they (VW, not Assos) make a profit on each one they sell - they achieved this by apparently writing off all the development costs - including a new factory - against their marketing budget, so each new car "only" costs materials and labour.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Scrumple
    No hat, as posted, they wont sell at the price quoted.

£55 was ok, £80 aint ok
  • shizzle... sorry guys! I tried to help, but some stores have figured out they made a mistake. 80 British Pounds does sound ridiculously expensive, so's the $160 U.S. retail.

BTW, I keep testing it - yesterday went out for 46 miles in 24F (real feel 14F) and yet again never had to adjust fuguHelm, warm all around, no sweat at all, perfect amount of insulation, perfect hearing through that 3D material they use for ear flaps. This time I used those loops to keep my Rudy Rydons' handles in place and it was great.

One thing though - if you do buy it, make sure you buy the right size and fits snugly. If it's a bit loose, the wind will find it's way inside the hat from the front.

Also, for those who own FuguJacks, try fuguHelm in combination with the built-in mask for really cold and windy rides - also works great.

...another test tomorrow :)

Happy Riding!
  • Scrumple
    show off........
  • Wonderful, thanks for that while I was trying to help. :?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    That'd be said with the tongue firmly in the cheek, carbontulip - don't take it to heart.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Scrumple
    haha

I was joking! Just being grumpy that they cancelled my order.... Was very tongue in cheek and most certainly not a dig!!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Scrumple - did you sound like Homer Simpson screaming "Bring me my FUGU!"?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...