Avg speed 22mph

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Have you read the story about the Knutsford Great Race?

The winner of the 2010 Knutsford Great Race was Jim Brailsford (who also won the last event in 2000). He managed 107 laps; that's just over 66 miles in three hours, at an average speed of 22mph

On a penny farthing FFS! :shock: I couldn't hold that average for three hours on a geared racer unless I was drafting something pretty damn large.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Yes, I thought exactly the same thing and felt very inadequate, but came to the conclusion that they must have been racing the loop in the downhill direction.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Grahamcp wrote:
    Yes, I thought exactly the same thing and felt very inadequate, but came to the conclusion that they must have been racing the loop in the downhill direction.

you are being humerous....right?? Please tell me you are....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Googled for the race, first thing I found on Youtube was a crash. Ouch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYPxD4W2B28#t=80
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Neeeeeerrrr.

I wonder how fast he was spinning the pedals?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    PBo wrote:
    Grahamcp wrote:
    Yes, I thought exactly the same thing and felt very inadequate, but came to the conclusion that they must have been racing the loop in the downhill direction.

I reckon there was a tailwind ;)

Nah, penny farthings can be mega rapid. That race would have been a fantastic sight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsanHNYZA0Q
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • PBo
    JonGinge wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Grahamcp wrote:

I reckon there was a tailwind ;)
    :lol:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think it's a bit daft that this was on the same day as the Manchester 100, otherwise you'd have had more spectators probably...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    The ultimate fixed, with a seriously big cog.

*goes off to YouTube Penny Farthings*
    A biking runner :)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Pah! Easy! I average 22mph on my commute every day!

Well, for 500 yards of the 8 miles I do...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Jees, you have a 66 mile commute? And you do it on a penny farthing? Chapeau Jock, Chapeau.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Jees, you have a 66 mile commute? And you do it on a penny farthing? Chapeau Jock, Chapeau.

Yes, but it's a downhill route...and with a judiciously-centred cyclone on his circular journey it's done with a constant tailwind.
  • Hrun wrote:
    The ultimate fixed, with a seriously big cog. ...

Well... no cogs and a low gear- PFs maximimum gear is limited by the rider's inside leg measurement and the need to have a frame & saddle under the rider. The largest practical size is allegedly about 60". I think low fifties was more common.

Even on a 60" PF the rider would need to sustain about 125rpm average to produce the 22mph speed.

Cheers,
    W.
  • PBo
    Hrun wrote:
    The ultimate fixed, with a seriously big cog. ...

Well... no cogs and a low gear- PFs maximimum gear is limited by the rider's inside leg measurement and the need to have a frame & saddle under the rider. The largest practical size is allegedly about 60". I think low fifties was more common.

Even on a 60" PF the rider would need to sustain about 125rpm average to produce the 22mph speed.

Cheers,
    W.

The figures just don't seem plausible do they? 125rpm for 3 hours?, no rest periods? Maybe he did, I don't want to just dis the guy for the sake of it, but I'm struggling to believe that

Do you reckon they mis-measured the distance and rounded it up a few laps, to increase the numbers, for publicity purposes?
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I saw some youtube footage of one of these, nasty when they crash
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Average speed of 22mph?

Well... in for a penny....

(I'll get me coat. Again)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter