General question

Dudeacus
Dudeacus Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Morning all. Just got into biking in mtb in the last 12 mths. Are people using clip pedals or no clips ?

Comments

• People use both. Ppl who ride XC tend to clip in more than the downhillers and freeriders. Some ppl use flats for XC.

I use flats- suparstar nanotech

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Dudeacus - Plenty of threads if you search for them. Plenty of people will argue that flats are the only way to go. Generally though, go with what works for YOU and ignore advice.

However radioactiveman has a decent starting point there. That said, plenty of downhillers ride clipped in though so don't assume it's just down to the sort of riding you do. For what it's worth, I ride both.
  • Thanks radio man and Atz. Im enjoying the flats my buddie is using clips and coming off a lot at the mo till he masters them. Obviously he his benefiting on the uphill but not as much fun on the downhill. I will stay as i am for now !
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Dudeacus wrote:
    my buddie is using clips and coming off a lot at the mo till he masters them.

Shimano SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats :wink:
  • Dudeacus wrote:
    Thanks radio man and Atz. Im enjoying the flats my buddie is using clips and coming off a lot at the mo till he masters them. Obviously he his benefiting on the uphill but not as much fun on the downhill. I will stay as i am for now !

Personally, I think the downhill sections are more fun in clips than with flats. For me, personally, it gives me more control over what I do with the bike, as with flats I find my feet bounce around a bit too much and make things a little harrier than they should be. But it all comes down to personal preference, I don't know a single person who rides with flats.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've heard it said before to stick with flats till you learn the basics, then move on to SPDs (or others).

I didn't do this, went straight to SPDs as they came with the bike.

I think it dose make sense to learn to control the bike with flats first. Learning to bunny hop and lift the rear without relying on being clipped in for example.
  • Tough call, down to personal choice, see if you can pick up an old pair of spd's and have a go, make your own mind up. I've always clipped in, my son, who rides downhill has just converted to clips and wishes he had done long time ago. Learning to fall when the clips are new to you is part of the fun.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    with flats I find my feet bounce around a bit too much

This is much the same as when flats fans say "I keep falling off because I'm clipped in"- just a case of getting the technique right. Unless you have totally unsuitable shoes and pedals, if your feet come off it's because you've made a mistake. Just like once you get the unclip trick right, being clipped in stops being such a disadvantage.

Guess what I'm saying is, you need to have got the best out of both before you can judge them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    with flats I find my feet bounce around a bit too much

This is much the same as when flats fans say "I keep falling off because I'm clipped in"- just a case of getting the technique right. Unless you have totally unsuitable shoes and pedals, if your feet come off it's because you've made a mistake. Just like once you get the unclip trick right, being clipped in stops being such a disadvantage.

Guess what I'm saying is, you need to have got the best out of both before you can judge them.

I am one of the fortunate ones who has experienced both worlds thoroughly. I rode a 6 hour marathon when i was a bit younger riding on flats, and having since switched to spds i have felt a world of difference. But again this is only my personal preference and what i feel comfortable with.
  • Northwind
    Sure, but if your feet are bouncing around it's because either the technique or hardware isn't up to the job. Sorry if that sounds critical but it's a fact. People manage to ride the roughest of terrain at speed on flats without being bounced around. If you're moving with the bike you'll stay planted on your pedals.

(I occasionally let myself get bounced off, don't want to sound preachy or superior here, but when it happens it's always because I screwed up. Used to happen to me often, now very very rarely but mistakes happen, just like experienced riders sometimes forget to unclip)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    Sure, but if your feet are bouncing around it's because either the technique or hardware isn't up to the job. Sorry if that sounds critical but it's a fact.

Yes, but if someone finds it easier to stay on the pedals with clips then does it matter if they were only having problems because their flats technique wasn't quite perfect? If they find it easier and don't prefer the downsides then there's no reason to be 'ashamed' of using SPDs. Just like we use disc brakes and fat tyres to make things easier and probably more fun.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Shimano A530s - you can choose to clip in or not as you wish!
  • Northwind
    bails87 wrote:
    Yes, but if someone finds it easier to stay on the pedals with clips then does it matter if they were only having problems because their flats technique wasn't quite perfect?

Not at all. But it does matter if they're blaming the pedal type for their problems. I've got no choice but to use flats, but back in ye old days I struggled with flats so I switched to SPDs and it seemed to cure my problems. The technique issues were still there though and did slow me down- all the tricks to keeping your footing on flats are useful on SPDs too, keeping your heels dropped and riding with not against the bike.
    Uncompromising extremist