Ullapool Sportive

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Done this event on Saturday and it was probably the most scenic route I have ever done and that includes trips abroad.

I did the 130m Mor option and it was a bit of a slog and I got my nutrition wrong as I had no gels and suffered a bit of an upset tum around the 90 mile mark which passed after an hour or so but have not felt that bad on a bike for a long time and I do 100m plus sportives on a regular basis. I rallied round for the last 20 miles and came in with a time of 7.45 which was bit of a surprise giving how bad I felt.

The event was well run and was pretty flawless and well marshalled. The only slight gripe that i have is that there were no showers available. Should be mandatory to provide the option of a hot shower when doing a long day in the saddle.

Still it was dry on the day and the wind was moderate and every body was in good spirits and seemed to enjoy the day. I saw a lady motorist complain at the last feed stop that there were riders that would not stop to allow her to pass them on the single track road from Lairg. I saw one group that would not stop for the cars and if I was driving it would have frustrated me also.

Anybody else do this?
Brian B.

Comments

• I did the 130mile route, and I must agree that it was the most scenic route of any sportive I have done in the UK.

Conditions were perfect apart from the temperature being a touch low for my liking.

I also suffered with my energy levels from 90 -110 miles, but managed to recover for the last 20miles.

Only managed 8hrs 18mins which just proves my lack of training over the last few months and reinforces my need to work hard over the winter.

Ullapool is a long distance from most people in the UK. but it's certainly worth adding this ride to your wishlist for next year.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • Well done guys, done it last year and its not as hilly as one would think. But seem to remember a long climb about the 100 mile mark, with a hill at start and one to get back to Ullapool. Also remember a long winding road after turning of road Laxford bridge to Lairg.Was cooked as well reaching last feed, it was a saviour.
  • glad it had good weather.

Didn't do it - but did cycle a good chunk of the route in the summer. It's pretty amazing country.

I sometimes can't work out why anyone would go anywhere else on holiday (then it rains...)
  • Did this event as an introduction to long distance sportives (furthest prior to this was 98miles) and enjoyed it. Cycling time was 7hrs 41. Only low point was the road from Lairg to Ledmore wih the climb and the moderate wind against.

Being new to cycling I am reluctant to tag onto groups as i feel i may lack the knowledge/skills and as such have to tough it out solo.

This must have a detrimental efffect on overall time but I would be interested to know by how much on such an event.

In good weather the Highlands are as good as anywhere to bike just a shame about the 6 months of winter around the corner....