RIBBLE SPORTIVE - I need a granny ring!

UPGRAYEDD
UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Just got round to riding my new Ribble Sportive Ultegra today - have to say that I am mighty pleased with it. Descended a 4 mile hill like a demon (are they actually known for this?) to the point that car drivers behind didn't even overtake.

However, having been used to riding a 52-42-30 for the best part of the last 20 years and not being scared of using the granny ring (I have a high cadence even when climbing), I feel emasculated by the 53-39 set-up that I now have. Living in a hilly area doesn't aid this, and I just can't get a low enough gear to comfortably spin.

Any thoughts? Should I just persevere? Will it get easier? Or am I destined to be the granny ring king forever?
"A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."

Comments

• Your best bet first of all is to swap cassette for something like a 11-28, so that you have lowest gear of 39-28.

If that still ain't low enough, then it looks as though it's a compact crankset reqd, 50-34. This combined with above cassette will give you a similar range to a triple setup.

To change to triple setup would be costly as you would need new STI levers, new front mech and new rear mech, and probably a chain if it isn't long enough.

But just remember,as it says below, 'There are no hills.........' :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Ta chap - I might have to use the advice at the end as a mantra...

Given your ID name, am guessing you are fully au fait with the "no hills" of Wry Nose, Hard Knott, Kirkstone, The Struggle and Hartside?

Need to get my bike up there next spring and attack some of those (again in the case of Hartside - would love to get that climb in at under 20 mins). For all five, I think liberal granny ring usage is more than acceptable....!
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    presumably you specified the 53/39 when ordering - why..?
  • I did - having never used a 39 before (and not being a Sheldon Brown gear calculating type) I had no idea that it would be as tough to use on the local hills as it is.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Not knowing much about gears when I grabbed a bargain off ebay I have ended up with a double - so find hills tough but great for fitness. However one thing i ensure I do is drop to my lowest gear early doors so my legs dont burn to early - u poss already do this but if not worth giving a go.
  • Changing your current gearing to a compact and something like a 11 - 28 will make a big difference. If this doesn't work then you'll need to bite the bullet and get your LBS to convert it to a triple, which will be fairly expensive.

I've got a spare compact chainset which I use for hiilier sportives and it does make all the difference. I swap back afterwards as it's only a 10min job, but you may need a spare chain as the rear mech may not have a large enough capacity to cope between the two chainsets.
  • Yep, fully au fait with the little blighters !!!!

Live down on the 'pancake flat' Wirral now, with plenty of wind thrown in.

Folks still live up there, so always take bike when we visit and get a few hills in :D

Good luck with getting the bike sorted.

Cheers
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Thanks to all for the useful suggestions.

I persevered today and did a few climbs (Burrington Coombe, Bath Road Hill and another awful little neverending back road up to Butcombe, land of the beer). Definitely a lot tougher without the granny ring - out of the saddle on a number of occasions - but certainly better than yesterday.

Think I'll give it a go for a bit before spending even more cash. Just seems that I have to get used to dropping my usual hill climbing cadence of 80-85 down to 70 ish until such a time as I am strong enough to cope with the 39!