Do you downhill? If not why not?

1235»

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Alex wrote:
    I'm still waiting to ride the Champerey track. Keeps being closed every time I'm in the area.
    The French Nationals track on the way betwen Morzine/Avoriaz and Chatel? That is awesome. We rode most of it whilst we were there.

That's a funny one. There's the track everyone rides, and then there's the actual french national. The one everyone rides is fairly easy, and then the genuine article is balls out insane with huge drops to flat and roadgaps into rocky deathgardens.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yep, that's the one. Hence, we rode "most" of it :lol:
  • I've just got back into mountain biking after 15 years and am loving it. I would have a go at just about any track, as long as I had the right gear. I would go pretty slow compared to regular downhillers, but I'm sure I'd love it all the same.

I have only just got a bike with front suspension, so I'm a bit behind the times :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Northwind wrote:
    cee wrote:
    I'd rather have a slower speed technical trail than a full tilt wideopen descent...

Plus it makes the descents last longer :lol:

indeed....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    It looks as if Northwind is on wings from skills course, therefore is most probably right about describing the trails.
    It doesn't matter if they are classified as DH or XC, as long as your mind is faster at identifying the trail and technical feautures of it and you can plan very well ahead your flow and each preparation move of tackling that bastid rock-root-jump-drop then you are fine.
    It doesn't matter if the trail was classified DH or XC, it's all plain riding a bike on a trail really. However if things are going too fast for your brain to cope, then most probably you have to comfort brake and slow down to comfortable speeds to reach your sweet spot again and progress from there.

The problem lies elsewhere, not every rider is the same. The mindset is different from rider to rider too. So is the fear of DH-ing. And there is that additional pressure from various info* about categories of bikes etc +natural competition between men of - I am better than you, so I am faster fool attitude.

From all that confusing outcry from a regular Sunday Warrior I may end my rant.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    It's not just a speed thing though, a lot of the time it's the sheer steepness of it that freaks people out.
  • popstar
    Obviously experience counts on steepness department. But thats just a part of technical riding I suppose, wonder why people don't freak out riding over the root or rock but once see a steep section then alarm bells ring in their head. Think it's a locking vision on front wheel syndrome* but talking this BS and proving things in real life is entirely different story.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    It depends on what track you are riding too.

Cwmcarn: Smoooth and easy
    Nevid Red XC.... Makes Cwmcarn look like a blue XC route

Glencoe sounds like the Laggan of the DH world. :shock:
  • popstar
    Weescot in your opinion is Laggan that ultimate or Glencoe is the one to go? Just came back from a trip and wonder if I missed things I should pay a visit next time. Laggan's first few metres of Black trail were a revelation to me, but the flow of rocky section was immense. Scotland can't be compared to Wales. It's different.

• Anonymous
    popstar wrote:
    people don't freak out riding over the root or rock but once see a steep section then alarm bells ring in their head.
    Probably because they feel they're already that much closer to going arse over tit before the front even hits anything.
  • weescott
    popstar wrote:
    Weescot in your opinion is Laggan that ultimate or Glencoe is the one to go? Just came back from a trip and wonder if I missed things I should pay a visit next time. Laggan's first few metres of Black trail were a revelation to me, but the flow of rocky section was immense. Scotland can't be compared to Wales. It's different.
    Laggan is the ultimate official technical XC route in the UK. There is a route between Bennachie and Pitfichie that makes Laggan look like a red route though. Think the steepest parts of Laggan but on a switchback and with wheel size drainage ditches :shock:

I haven't been to Glencoe (i'm only starting in DH) but I have heard that some people only ride it for points in races as it's so scary.

People shouldn't be so aprehensive when the genres of XC and DH cross paths so much. Or do I mean XC/Trail/AM/FR/DH? :lol:
  • popstar
    Sounds as if those places you mention are actually a wild natural riding. Think I need to convince my riding buddies to team up for Laggan and Glencoe this time!
    weescott wrote:

People shouldn't be so aprehensive when the genres of XC and DH cross paths so much. Or do I mean XC/Trail/AM/FR/DH? :lol:
    In my books its what general MTB-ing is all about aka Aggresive XC.

• weescott
    Pitfichie used to be a completly natural trail up until a few years ago when the Forestry Commission pumped some money into the XC and DH courses and made them official. It's a mixture of man made and natural riding. Bennachie is officially walking trails and parts are limited to walkers only at [brief] times. It's also close to the Cairngorm mountains where you can get lost for days in some truely epic riding.

If it's some of/the best natural agressive XC riding in the UK you want I'll happily show you some trails.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Check this
    http://vimeo.com/17304188[/url]
    Don't think, BE:
  • I dont consider my self as a Dher but a trail rider.
    Though steepness is nt much of a problem. rode the megavalanche and the qualifier and the last 2 years... with very different style and speed from one year to another.

My limit would be The avalanche cup track , that i have ridden. but is absolutely mental... not every thing is rolable, most parts you cant stand up right or attempt to walk it... http://vimeo.com/16438615 vid doesnt do justice to the steepness.

I actually rode that the first time after a year of MTB... you learn and pick up skills on the way. Key is knowing your limits and keeping focus. You lose concentration= crash or near miss.

I just ride with in my comfort zone of speed and skills what ever comes infront of me. I m rubbish at drops unless they are part of the trail and forget to notice them.

At the same time in the alps i found my self riding things i 'd never attemp only because i was focused on following the guys line. ( surprising what you can do)

As popstar says it is mind set.
    THe are all trails tha can be ridden at various speeds...
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • I've done a couple of races in the past. Most recently done a couple on my HT. I did used to have a DH bike, but got rid of it for lack of use.

I enjoy DH riding, and don't object to the pain, or even the cost. It's just such a PITA getting sorted for a ride.

I enjoy being able to pick up my bike and go for a ride whenever and wherever I want. When I had the DH bike, you'd need to plan a ride 4 weeks in advance just to make sure there were enough people (DH on your own is: A. Daft, and B. Boring).
    Then you'd have to drive an hour each way to get to the runs. Then spend 3/4 of the remainder of the day pushing up the hills. All this for 30mins riding.

Now I grab my bike out the garage, jump on it, and in 5mins I'm on some of the best MTBing in the Briish Isles. When I feel like a bit of a loony, I just take my HT out and accept that I'm going to be the slowest one there.

T'is the way forward I tell thee!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aaaahahaha, we'll never know if I could ride that because I'd take one look and get the skilift back down :lol: What a track! There's short sections at superbagneres that are like that- built by some of the same people in fact- but they're very short with breathing room before and after, and still terrifying, I know I couldn't string 2 or 3 together in one go never mind a whole mountain of it. Mint.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bobpzero wrote:

Fark that!! Those corners just look fookin stupid :shock:

It's quite cool to watch the pro's doing it though, they just seem to fly round them effortlessly.

'd take one look and get the skilift back down

Very much this!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    alexj2233 wrote:
    It's quite cool to watch the pro's doing it though, they just seem to fly round them effortlessly.

Except Nico :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist